What Would Be a Good Place to Start for New Agent?

PurpleandGold

I'm going for my P&C license soon. I was reading on the forum about how being captive would be a good experience for a newbie as myself. I wanted to know what would be a good company to work for? I live in Shreveport, La.

Is Liberty Mutual out there? They as far as I know offer the best program for Newbies.

I'm going for my P&C license soon. I was reading on the forum about how being captive would be a good experience for a newbie as myself. I wanted to know what would be a good company to work for? I live in Shreveport, La.

Do you have assets? If not, you will likely end up working for someone for a while.

If you do, I'd go independent.

Do you have assets? If not, you will likely end up working for someone for a while.

If you do, I'd go independent.

Going independent or work for an independent?

To go independent out of the gate even with assets seems pretty dumb

I'm not really worried about the working for someone else part. Just wondering what would be a company to work for. Like I hear bad and good about State Farm and Allstate. I know about the not being able to take my customers/files with me if and when i decide to go independent.

I've worked for both captive and independent, and had my own agency both ways also.

If you can find a captive company, I would recommend starting there. There's far too much to learn to start off independent, in my opinion. A captive company has training and resources buillt in that you can't get on your own.

I personally think trying to start independent with no experience in P&C is almost a recipe for failure.

Dont say that no experience is a recipe for faliure. At 22 i started my own agency with no expereince. I will say that it is frustrating but rewarding in the end. Its your call to be your own boss or work for an agency. Either way good luck with your decision.

Dont say that no experience is a recipe for faliure. At 22 i started my own agency with no expereince. I will say that it is frustrating but rewarding in the end. Its your call to be your own boss or work for an agency. Either way good luck with your decision.

Mind sharing how you got it done? I am young like you and captive at the moment but would like to eventually go indy.

Did you start from home? what was your target market? how did you get appointments (direct or cluster)? what was your start-up costs, ect.?

Sorry for being nosy but always interested on how others have succeed.

Back