Better Save Up for AEP

I dont see why the agent can't decide the level of risk he wants to take, like any other insurance product out there. Being forced to take 12 month advance is rediculous, but so is being forced to be paid as earned. What about having the option for a 3 month, or 6 month advance like you have with any other product out there? There is not justifable reason to have it set up this way.
The difference is no other type of insurance has a contract with the federal government, so carriers decide. With MA and PDP, CMS decides. We can wish for it to be different, but when we sign on for the most regulated line of insurance we just live with the regs...or leave.

sometimes I have to drive hours to go look at a letter someone got or go and sit with them while we call the carrier to get an answer about some question they have.

You might want to learn how to master the telephone, especially 3 way calling if you have to call the carrier for an answer.

No way I would ever drive to a clients home to help them call a carrier for an answer.

Well, if they're gonna pay as earned, they should pay more because there's a whole lotta extra service work that goes into ma enrollees. I'm constantly getting calls about one thing or another. And sometimes I have to drive hours to go look at a letter someone got or go and sit with them while we call the carrier to get an answer about some question they have. And, you've gotta do these things because if you don't and they call the carrier your customer could get flipped by them or they may talk the customer into lodging a complaint against you. There's a lot more variables in this biz than writing fe or even supps for that matter.

I had a conversation with a good friend the other day that owns a very successful lawn care and snowplowing company. He told me that for a standard 2 place straight driveway he gets $180 per season to plow the snow. Made me think. He has over a thousand customers and has a fleet of 22 trucks and 18 employees. For $180 he has to have a $40,000 truck with an employee inside of it drive to their house and plow the driveway an average of 24 times per winter. I have to take a few phone calls for the same money. Not bad. Now I just have to get a thousand clients. :idea:

You might want to learn how to master the telephone, especially 3 way calling if you have to call the carrier for an answer.

No way I would ever drive to a clients home to help them call a carrier for an answer.

I drove 2 hours to a current clients house last week to try and straighten her MAPD co pays out. I do it mainly to get out of the house but MAPD's are a PITA...

On that product, don't you think that is the best way to go any way? Since people will sign up multiple times and only the last one counts, would you want to get paid on business that doesn't ever take effect and then have to write the check back?

I don't know about you
But as far as the last 3 years
I have seen very minimal loss
as far as deals written in Oct and Nov dropping off

I do write mostly Supplement
and probably do about 50 mapd
and see maybe 3 or 4 that don't stick through Dec 7th

Don't see how chargebacks would be that much of a concern

But I believe as others have mentioned
Ultimately its not a bad thing in the sense that I have residual
and it will cut the competition

My only concern is if they do this today what do they do tomorrow

----------

Well, if they're gonna pay as earned, they should pay more because there's a whole lotta extra service work that goes into ma enrollees. I'm constantly getting calls about one thing or another. And sometimes I have to drive hours to go look at a letter someone got or go and sit with them while we call the carrier to get an answer about some question they have. And, you've gotta do these things because if you don't and they call the carrier your customer could get flipped by them or they may talk the customer into lodging a complaint against you. There's a lot more variables in this biz than writing fe or even supps for that matter.

It would be a lot more work that way

You ever though about having client email fax or mail you out letter if they cant read it

and maybe not be right with client when you call carrier

true there is more customer service with MA plans then Supp(another reason I write more sup)

But it does not have to be that time consuming

The problem I see is this you write an MA in Oct it doesn't go into effect until Jan1 then you wait another month to get paid one month's commission. With all the other product comparisons they would take effect the very next month in most cases. So in a nutshell there is a 4,3,or 2 month delay. To me its just another reason why not to mess with it but to each his own. They already took the fun out of selling them now they want to take the money.

huge.3.18169.JPG

CMS Carriers

AE doesn't bother me much, except the general overall trend of the last few years is to "Stick it to the Agents." Powerful lobbies at work and we ain't got a horse in the race.

Last edited:
Back