Over 150.000 insurance professionals and consumers come to the Insurance Forum every month. Click here to register for FREE

Go Back   Insurance Forums > Insurance Agents and Brokers Forum > Senior Insurance Forum

Reply to Blue Cross Health Insurance Cancelled, Switched to Medi-cal     
Old 03-17-2015, 11:36 PM   #1

State: tkuhug is an Insurance Agent from
Blue Cross Health Insurance Cancelled, Switched to Medi-cal Blue Cross Health Insurance Cancelled, Switched to Medi-cal
My mom is 52 and was enrolled under Blue Shield for health insurance for the past year or so. She has been up-to-date on payments and there were no issues. However, she recently received a HealthNet ID Card and found out she was switched to Medi-Cal.

Does anyone know why this is? We are a 4-person family, parents income total to about 30k, I am 26 part-time student with part-time job, and also have a brother who is 16.

I'm thinking it was a glitch in their system that she was approved for Blue Shield initlally, and now realized their mistake?

She went to the local medi-cal office today to cancel her medi-cal today. I was not aware of this until now, but with the upcoming penalty fees that was not a wise thing to do was it.
------------------------------------
  Reply With Quote to Blue Cross Health Insurance Cancelled, Switched to Medi-cal
Old 03-18-2015, 11:32 AM   #2
Guru
Chazm on Blue Cross Health Insurance Cancelled, Switched to Medi-cal

State: Chazm is an Insurance Agent from Florida
Chazm is a member of 1000 posts VIP club
Blue Cross Health Insurance Cancelled, Switched to Medi-cal
I'm sure greensky can answer this but isn't Medi-cal their version of Medicaid? Why in the world would she cancel that?
Old 03-18-2015, 11:49 AM   #3
DS4
Guru
DS4 on Blue Cross Health Insurance Cancelled, Switched to Medi-cal

State: DS4 is an Insurance Agent from California
DS4 is a member of 1000 posts VIP club
Blue Cross Health Insurance Cancelled, Switched to Medi-cal Re: Blue Cross Health Insurance Cancelled, Switched to Medi-cal
A 4 person family under $33,000, all family members would be eligible for Medi-Cal.
Regarding the HealthNet Id card, this is probably through Medi-Cal.
Your mother probably lives in California in a large metro city.
Did your mother ever receive a cancellation notice from Blue Shield, or, is it Blue Cross?
Probably not.
Therefore, your mother is probably still primary with Blue ????? and secondary with Medi-Cal.
This is my best guess given the limited information in your post.

D. Dayton Sayer IV
Dayton Sayer Insurance Agency, Inc.
Sayerins.com

"The most valuable commodity I know of is information" Gordon Gekko
Old 03-18-2015, 11:50 AM   #4
Guru

State: Dave020 is an Insurance Agent from California
Dave020 is a member of 1000 posts VIP club
Blue Cross Health Insurance Cancelled, Switched to Medi-cal Re: Blue Cross Health Insurance Cancelled, Switched to Medi-cal
Originally Posted by tkuhug View Post
Does anyone know why this is? We are a 4-person family, parents income total to about 30k
Income at or below 138% FPL triggers MAGI Medi-Cal. Covered CA makes the call on this, not the health plan. The FPL for 2015 is somewhat higher than these numbers. See attached chart from Covered CA.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Program-Eligibility-by-Federal-Poverty-Level.jpg (168.4 KB, 7 views)
Reply to Blue Cross Health Insurance Cancelled, Switched to Medi-cal 

Insurance Agent Forum > Insurance Forums > Insurance Agents and Brokers Forum > Senior Insurance Forum

Tags
health insurance