Brand New with a Few Questions Regarding MedSupps.

Mick_Keyou

Super Genius
100+ Post Club
Hello everyone. I've been perusing this message board for many months now. I recently got my license for L,H&VA. I'm taking my AHIP certification right now so I thought I would finally ask some questions.

I've been gathering information about the senior market from you all and need some clarification about Med Supps.

1. Some of you appear to do phone to phone sales in order to prospect and close all on the phone without ever meeting face to face. I'm just trying to clarify if this is possible?

2. This leads me to my second question. It appears that some do phone to phone with the intent of making an appointment face to face. If #1 is true, what would be the advantage of focusing on face to face? Is it due to the client requesting a face to face?

This forum is incredible. I have so many questions, but I will start with baby steps.

Yes, it is possible to do it all over the phone, internet and mail (in regard to Med Supps).

Some people prefer face to face. I generally don't give the client a choice. But if they ask to meet face to face and are within a 30-45 minute drive, I will accommodate. If they are farther out than that, I explain the distance barrier and they usually have no problem handling it via the other methods. Sometimes they say they will meet me somewhere in the middle which is fine with me. Approximately 95% of my business is done without ever meeting the client face to face.

Good luck!

And just so you know, you don't need to take the AHIP to sell med supps. All the stuff you study for the AHIP wont pertain to med supps....well most of it

Selling over the phone is definitely the way to go. When I started 7 years ago, there was a lot less competition and internet lead quality was much better. I recommend you try stellarprospects.com for aged internet leads or contact josh on the forum for a cold call list.

You have to make sure you can offer a few good medicare supplements with competitive rates in the state you are selling in. I might also suggest that you license in 2-4 states to open up your selling territory a bit.

Lastly, find a system that works and work it. The first year is tough and you have to spend the majority of your time prospecting and making calls. Once you start to see your renewals, all the hard work the first year will be worth it.

Good luck!

Yes, you can sell Med Supp over the phone and in person. Selling over the phone helps with volume, you can set a lot more phone appointments in a day that in person because of the drive and down time meeting face to face. A lot of agents that sell face to face do so in order to maximize their ability to cross sell other products. It can be tough if not impossible to transition to a discussion about annuities over the phone so most field agents I talk to sell both over the phone and in person when they can.

In my early days, I did almost all F2F.
Now, many years later, almost all my business is through the mail, or, the client comes into my office.
When I get a lead, I usually say, "what time would you like to come in?".
My market is within 30 miles of my office.
In the past year, I have probably done home visits for less than 10 clients.

And just so you know, you don't need to take the AHIP to sell med supps. All the stuff you study for the AHIP wont pertain to med supps....well most of it

Are you inferring that the AHIP actually pertains to anything at all?
:D

And to OP,

As you can see, lots of us sell med supps/ medicare products over the phone.

You will need to amp up your phone skills a bit. I would definitely look for a mentor/GA before jumping into phone sales. One that actually sells over the phone themselves.

Also, it might be better to start out F2F until you get the hang of things before going into Telesales.

If you're not completely comfortable with everything your talking about and what your doing over the phone, the prospect will know and they won't buy from you.

I have found using Skype to be very productive for a face-to-face substitute. I use it a lot for existing client meetings and calls. If my customer has to step away for a minute or two, I can work on something else. I save time and travel and my customer gets some flexibility.

Back