Can a MD or PA Sell Medicare Products?

ser93boy

Expert
I was wondering if a Medical Doctor or Physician Assistant could sell Medicare products in a state where they are not licensed to practice medicine?

Would this be a conflict of interest?

Or, would it be permissible for their spouse to offer Medicare products?

Last edited:
I was wondering if a Medical Doctor or Physician Assistant could sell Medicare products in a state where they are not licensed to practice medicine?

Not sure of the answer to this, but I know of a lot of doctors who seem to think they are insurance agents....:skeptical::skeptical::skeptical:

If Medicare products means Medicare Insurance products, then rather like offering medical services, there is a basic first step which you can see some discussion of here:
http://www.insurance-forums.net/for...-friend-wants-work-me-suggestions-t89224.html

If Medicare products means durable medical equipment and you want government money then I expect you need to do some checking on CMS requirements.

Conflict of interest and professional ethics:
Professionals are to avoid even the appearance of a conflict of interest.
How will a third party evaluate the sales and/or spousal sales situations you are contemplating?

Last edited:

I think the key element of your question is the part in bold above. There would definitely be an issue if they tried to sell to their own patient base. But in a different state where they aren't practicing medicine? I don't see how that would be an issue as long as they follow the proper marketing guidelines. Same goes for the spouse. There wouldn't even be an issue with the spouse selling locally as long as they aren't approaching the patients of the practice.

licensing was the thrust behind my post, from a slightly different angle.

For example, I know (for a fact) that having an insurance license would PREVENT me from doing something in the Medicare area which I have some interest in.

Going the reverse way-would something prevent getting an insurance license?:

OP is talking about two certifications. The very first question is licensing restrictions. Do medical licensing guidelines proscribe insurance licensing? Do insurance licensing guidelines in the state allow licensed and practicing medical professionals to also sell insurance?

The second question is also licensing. In all the threads I have seen talking about insurance licensing where someone is asking about obtaining non-resident licenses, the comments have been that the individual must first get a license in their state of residence.

So if a person has a conflict of interest in their residence state that prevents them from getting a license there, how do they get a non-resident license in another state?

Those were the initial concerns that came to my mind.

Last edited:
licensing was the thrust behind my post, from a slightly different angle.

For example, I know (for a fact) that having an insurance license would PREVENT me from doing something in the Medicare area which I have some interest in.

Going the reverse way-would something prevent getting an insurance license?:

OP is talking about two certifications. The very first question is licensing restrictions. Do medical licensing guidelines proscribe insurance licensing? Do insurance licensing guidelines in the state allow licensed and practicing medical professionals to also sell insurance?

The second question is also licensing. In all the threads I have seen talking about insurance licensing where someone is asking about obtaining non-resident licenses, the comments have been that the individual must first get a license in their state of residence.

So if a person has a conflict of interest in their residence state that prevents them from getting a license there, how do they get a non-resident license in another state?

Those were the initial concerns that came to my mind.

The problem wouldn't be having the license, but selling the insurance to a patient. If you look at the Kansas, or any other state, DOI you can see the requirements for getting licensed. I highly doubt that physicians would be excluded.

I wouldn't see any conflict. Certainly couldn't be selling to his patients in his office but what you described shouldn't be a problem.

I think the key element of your question is the part in bold above. There would definitely be an issue if they tried to sell to their own patient base. But in a different state where they aren't practicing medicine? .

Could they actually sell to their own client base if they actually disclosed what they were doing?

They are licensed in NY, but would be practicing medicine in CT.

Back