Counseling Diabetic Clients

somarco

GA Medicare Expert
5000 Post Club
Atlanta
What do you to help your diabetic clients minimize their OOP costs? In particular their Rx costs. Do you have a report or handout that is used?

Doesn't seem to be any breaks on insulin. That stuff used to be cheap, but not any more.

Just this week I have had two people who have MA plans call me saying their medical and Rx costs are eating them alive. Both were insulin dependent, one is receiving dialysis 3x weekly.

Dialysis guy wanted plan F. The only thing I could think of was to hope his MA plan is not going to be offered next year, giving him a guaranteed right to buy plan F.

Of course I suggested he buy direct through AARP.

The guy in dialysis isn't going anywhere unless his plan craps out. I don't write GI plans and might as well give them to UHC.

No reason to shop Rx on the other one since 2016 plans aren't available. Even then, assuming she wants to keep an MA (or can't qualify for Medigap), I will pass her along to Scott when the time comes.

But back to my original question, anything in particular you do with diabetics to help them minimize their OOP costs?

The guy in dialysis isn't going anywhere unless his plan craps out. I don't write GI plans and might as well give them to UHC. No reason to shop Rx on the other one since 2016 plans aren't available. Even then, assuming she wants to keep an MA (or can't qualify for Medigap), I will pass her along to Scott when the time comes. But back to my original question, anything in particular you do with diabetics to help them minimize their OOP costs?

Depends on which insulin they use. Had a client tell me they get theirs at Walmart for around $25 (it was Novolin I think). This is MUCH cheaper than at other pharmacies. But I'm seeing more and more using the newer types like Lantus.

Of course, there are always PAP's they can try if it's one of the higher cost insulins.

Walmart has insulin called Relion. It's only in vials and doesn't replace lantus. Its 24.00 per vial and they don't file it on drug plan. I have some clients that I can convince to switch but some would rather use the pens doctors like to prescribe nowadays.

Scott, I thought PAP's wouldn't work with you if you have Part D. Or is that only on certain med's?

Relion is made specifically for Walmart.

Not all insulin's are the same and check with your doc before changing med's.

Scott, I thought PAP's wouldn't work with you if you have Part D. Or is that only on certain med's? Relion is made specifically for Walmart. Not all insulin's are the same and check with your doc before changing med's.

Some PAP's will allow a person to have Part D. I can't speak for manufacturers of insulin though.

----------

Walmart has insulin called Relion. It's only in vials and doesn't replace lantus. Its 24.00 per vial and they don't file it on drug plan. I have some clients that I can convince to switch but some would rather use the pens doctors like to prescribe nowadays.

I would never try and convince someone to change meds. The closest I come to that is recommending they talk with their doctor about other options.

Treatment for diabetes has become a serious financial issue for some. I mention the Walmart brands of insulin, don't mention them by name, tell the client to ask Walmart about the brands/types and then take that information to their prescribing doctor for guidance.

People with diagnosed diabetes incur average medical expenditures of about $13,700 per year, of which about $7,900 is attributed to diabetes. People with diagnosed diabetes, on average, have medical expenditures approximately 2.3 times higher than what expenditures would be in the absence of diabetes. -

See more at: The Cost of Diabetes: American Diabetes Association®

Back