Denied LIS Yet Under Income/asset Guidelines?

TN_agent

Guru
100+ Post Club
I have a client at 147% of FPL. By all guidelines I can find using SSI and Medicare materials, he should be eligible for a partial LIS to help with his drug costs (which are substantial). We filled out application for LIS, was denied.

Anyone know why this might be? I am leaning towards someone made a mistake processing the application and we need to appeal.

He lives in TN, draws $1463 SSI before deductions. There are definitely no hidden assets or other income.

I have a client at 147% of FPL. By all guidelines I can find using SSI and Medicare materials, he should be eligible for a partial LIS to help with his drug costs (which are substantial). We filled out application for LIS, was denied.

Anyone know why this might be? I am leaning towards someone made a mistake processing the application and we need to appeal.

He lives in TN, draws $1463 SSI before deductions. There are definitely no hidden assets or other income.

Looks like he is below the upper limit. So appeal.

did he stop working or make more money in 2016 than in 2017 ?

did he forget to tell you about a pension ,va etc. that he is collecting?

if not call SS on 3 Way call to verify reported SS income and/or to find out reason he was turned down.Also client can create account at IRS website to find all reported income for 2016

Doesn't the denial letter give the reason he was not eligible? At that income he should be eligible for partial LIS.

There is no other pension/income. He may have made $1k in early 2016 at a very part time job but hasn't worked there for over a year. He is bringing in the denial letter when he gets it. He has not technically received it yet, but we applied over a month ago and he called about it and was told he was not eligible.

Back