Disgusted with Humana this Year for AEP

They're trying to reduce costs by skimping on marketing materials. The enrollment kits now are terrible- not even abbreviated formularies are available for potential clients to peruse through. Summary of Benefits has been reduced to just a few pages, lacking a lot of the details of the benefits/ member's responsibility. And Humana is stubborn about this new approach they have taken. It's like Nancy Pelosi is running the Humana Marketing team: "you have to join it to find out what's in it".
Also, Humana steadfastly refuses to send me a provider directory, whether for my own use or to distribute to my clients. They claim printed directories are outdated and that everyone should use the provider search tool. Probably 40% of my clients are over age 80 and most do not use or even have a computer. Humana sends a very "abridged" provider directory to members once enrolled. An abridged provider directory is not sufficient for a plan where members are "locked-in". Humana expects members to stay in network and would quickly deny charges received out of network, but they refuse to offer provider directories. At the very least, upon request members should be able to receive a printed directory. One of my clients today told me she argued with a customer service rep recently about this and she finally gave up and her request was denied. Comprehensive formularies and provider directories are essential tools for members and not having adequate access to them can result in unexpected out of pocket costs. I feel like having a few members filing grievances with Humana would get their attention and that's what I plan to do. I know that Humana is feeling the pain as a result of being one of the larger participants in the ACA marketplace, and so it seems they're cutting back on their overhead any way they can, especially with the MAPD. Is it unreasonable to expect these materials be available in printed format, especially upon request. Obviously, not everyone has access to a computer. What say you?

They're trying to reduce costs by skimping on marketing materials. The enrollment kits now are terrible- not even abbreviated formularies are available for potential clients to peruse through. Summary of Benefits has been reduced to just a few pages, lacking a lot of the details of the benefits/ member's responsibility. And Humana is stubborn about this new approach they have taken. It's like Nancy Pelosi is running the Humana Marketing team: "you have to join it to find out what's in it".
Also, Humana steadfastly refuses to send me a provider directory, whether for my own use or to distribute to my clients. They claim printed directories are outdated and that everyone should use the provider search tool. Probably 40% of my clients are over age 80 and most do not use or even have a computer. Humana sends a very "abridged" provider directory to members once enrolled. An abridged provider directory is not sufficient for a plan where members are "locked-in". Humana expects members to stay in network and would quickly deny charges received out of network, but they refuse to offer provider directories. At the very least, upon request members should be able to receive a printed directory. One of my clients today told me she argued with a customer service rep recently about this and she finally gave up and her request was denied. Comprehensive formularies and provider directories are essential tools for members and not having adequate access to them can result in unexpected out of pocket costs. I feel like having a few members filing grievances with Humana would get their attention and that's what I plan to do. I know that Humana is feeling the pain as a result of being one of the larger participants in the ACA marketplace, and so it seems they're cutting back on their overhead any way they can, especially with the MAPD. Is it unreasonable to expect these materials be available in printed format, especially upon request. Obviously, not everyone has access to a computer. What say you?

I say that sucks and you need to learn how to use paragraphs.:yes:

I have just spent several weeks arguing with a large GHP carrier. They have a policy that any plan member who is eligible for Medicare, will be considered to be on Medicare-regardless of whether or not they are actually enrolled. The GHP carriers policy is then to pay secondary to an actual, or estimated, Medicare claim payment. They were applying the policy incorrectly and illegally, but their customer service pretty much ignored my comments and complaints for some time.

I rather think that the large ins companies are operating from a) a base that "size is power" and b) because we are big guys, we get a lot of complaints and this is most likely more of that "noise" and we are just going to ignore it.

I see what is discussed in the original post as "more of the same".

I have always felt that Humana had too much marketing materials. When I would want to order some apps on the supply portal, there were a ton of options with strange codes attached to them. I could never find exactly what I wanted in a quick and efficient manner. I would just order a bunch of stuff and hope to get what I needed.

So I gave up on that and now I just call into agent support and order over the phone. But even then, when I tell the guy I need this and that, he says he cant order individual things, he says I have to get a whole packet. When the "packet" arrives, the material is scattered into a bunch of separate things, and I have to figure out what goes where. I just use the email/mapa stuff when possible now. Other companies have a much simpler process.

Bar Coding is such a waste and pain.I have to order so much not knowing what I will need where I will need it an for how much & it takes up space for no reason. As well as waste money time and resources of the Ins company.

I am still waiting on apps from Aetna for 4 clients, Such a joke,I have no problem writing UHC all day just print what I need, When I need it. I don't have to worry If I need 10 apps in a day from one plan or not at all.

Sounds to me as though you are captured. This is one of the reasons I decided to stay independent and write whoever was best for the member. I am appointed with Aetna, Amerigroup, BCBS, Humana and UHC and I will just offer what is best. Humana would not be best if they refused to provide what the member wants and they end up switching. Just my opinion and this is my first AEP, so what do I know.

Sounds to me as though you are captured. This is one of the reasons I decided to stay independent and write whoever was best for the member. I am appointed with Aetna, Amerigroup, BCBS, Humana and UHC and I will just offer what is best. Humana would not be best if they refused to provide what the member wants and they end up switching. Just my opinion and this is my first AEP, so what do I know.

Just from reading this thread I'm guessing they are all independent

----------

Bar Coding is such a waste and pain.I have to order so much not knowing what I will need where I will need it an for how much & it takes up space for no reason. As well as waste money time and resources of the Ins company.

I am still waiting on apps from Aetna for 4 clients, Such a joke,I have no problem writing UHC all day just print what I need, When I need it. I don't have to worry If I need 10 apps in a day from one plan or not at all.

I'm not sure if you mean Aetna's advantage plans but I ran out of apps too and luckily I remembered they have an iPad app. Ascend Aetna

Just from reading this thread I'm guessing they are all independent

----------

I'm not sure if you mean Aetna's advantage plans but I ran out of apps too and luckily I remembered they have an iPad app. Ascend Aetna

Yes I am getting mixed answer on weather or not I can use ascend over the phone, My upline with them said Yes, and Aetna Reps I have got 2 said Yes and 2 said no. I am going to do a webinar this week IDK,

Yes I am getting mixed answer on weather or not I can use ascend over the phone, My upline with them said Yes, and Aetna Reps I have got 2 said Yes and 2 said no. I am going to do a webinar this week IDK,

I have been using it for two years, the answer is YES

Back