How To Market To Centers of Gravity

tjackson

Expert
With Medicare becoming more and more difficult to market, I have tried to think of fresh ways to market that will position the medicare agent in his or her community. The following is what I have called "Marketing To the Center of Gravity."

Every mass has a “center of gravity.” The Center of Gravity is the point… according to Wikipedia, “where gravity can be said to act.”

In business to business sales, the Center of Gravity is the CEO or some other C level executive. If they act, the organization normally follows what they do.

With Medicare, there are also a great number of these "Centers of Gravity" in your community... those who have positions of influence and respect with many seniors.

Think of who these people are... directors of charitable agencies (like Meals on Wheels), pastors, priests, some physicians (clinics), food pantries, etc. There are scores of these folks all around you and you know... they are ALL overworked and very under-appreciated.

These people are also very protective of the seniors they shepherd and care for. That is why if you approach them with a sales pitch, in most cases you will be nothing but noise in their ears.

I developed the following letter to not only get the attention of these folks, but also to genuinely show you appreciate what they do.

What you do is attach a $5 starbucks card or a a walmart card to the top of this letter as a "gift."

You can put this letter on your letterhead and you should also include your card in the letter.

123 Main St.
Anytown, USA, 12345
Date, Time

Dear Mr. Jones
Meals On Wheels Director,

As you can see, I have attached a $5 Walmart card to this letter. Why have I done this? Really, just to say thank you.

You don’t know me, but I know about you. I know for example that you serve our community as the Director of the Meals on Wheels, and I know that you are way overworked and way underpaid for what you do.

I just want you to know how much I appreciate what you do. But I also know how seldom people actually show their appreciation.

I am a Medicare agent and I really am grateful for what you do in serving the seniors in our community. I hope that you will find this little gift useful.

If you ever need to refer an agent who also really cares about people, I hope you will call me. Like you, I really care about seniors and I do everything possible to treat my elders with the respect they deserve.

Even if you don’t call , I hope you will feel sincerely and warmly appreciated.

Sincerely,

John Smith, Agent
ABC Agency

Hmmm, where to start....
Generally, these are called centers of influence, rather than centers of gravity. They are people who have influence over others, generally in your target market.

These are the people you want to get to know, not just send a card to. It's a good first start, but they won't generally open the flood gates of referrals to you for this. You need to get to know them, find out what they are passionate about, and help them acheive their passion.

It can take 6 months to a year to develop the relationship, but it has to be a relationship, not just a 'hey, send me business' type of thing.

There are books written about center of influence marketing, even more workshops given on it. It's not the easiest thing and requires patience.

You have the right idea though, just need to work on it a bit more.

Dan

I agree that it is a time and relationship thing rather than drop someone a letter. Centers of influence people don't owe you diddly and a letter like that will end up in their recycle bin. Sorry to dish out the tough love, but that is the truth. In my main market I have the oldest doctor and his wife who just ran for county commissioner. I have the current mayor and wife, two former commissioners, the oldest WW2 vet who is also a former mayor, the guy's mother who owns the diner on the town square, etc. It took time... maybe two years. But it is a fact that having those names makes the close of a new sale easier, brings referrals, and makes me the go-to-guy in that town.

In retrospect I'd have to say I have those big names because I had a buch of lesser known ones first. My name gets dropped at coffee shops and the senior center in any conversation that involves insurance. I built a reputation for doing what's right, taking my time, not pushing... EVER. Speak on their level. You can claim to be an authority, expert, professional, caring person with senior's needs at heart, but until you SHOW it and let them know it by your actions... IT DON'T MATTER WHAT YOU CLAIM ON PAPER.

Take care of your clients and they'll return the favor. Take care of someone's elderly mother and they'll tell their sunday school classmates what a wonderful guy you are... then they call you to take care of their parents.

Take care of your character and your reputation will take care of it's self.

I like the old saying:

Save your money and someday it'll return the favor.

Gosh guys, go back and read the letter. It is a letter of APPRECIATION, and doesn't make the claims you ascribe to it.

It is simply an introduction. I have worked with many centers of influence (I call them centers of gravity... because they pull and and don't push clients), and they are under-appreciated.

I absolutely agree that it is about building relationships, genuine, lasting relationships... demonstrating to people that you really do care.

Tony

Gosh guys, go back and read the letter. It is a letter of APPRECIATION, and doesn't make the claims you ascribe to it.

It is simply an introduction. I have worked with many centers of influence (I call them centers of gravity... because they pull and and don't push clients), and they are under-appreciated.

I absolutely agree that it is about building relationships, genuine, lasting relationships... demonstrating to people that you really do care.

Tony

I understand, but the whole reason you'd mail that letter/gift is to get something in return... right? IMO it would be long shot that any of them would retain any information about you, your services, etc. by the end of the week. Letters/post cards, etc. have a very short window of effect. That is why most of them urge the potential client to "act now", "call now", "mail this NOW"... etc.

Now taking a COI out to lunch and having a well organized "talk" prepared... that'd get more results.

Take care of your clients and they'll return the favor. Take care of someone's elderly mother and they'll tell their sunday school classmates what a wonderful guy you are... then they call you to take care of their parents.

Take care of your character and your reputation will take care of it's self.

Spot on!

If I had to point out the biggest mistake agents who work the senior market make it would be that they don't stay in touch with their clients. I'm not talking about monthly news letters full of boring information about insurance.

I send birthday letters, not cards. Letters are much more personal and more appreciated. An "anniversary letter". Not their wedding anniversary but the anniversary of their policy. I send a "newsletter" around the first of the year about what Jacqueline and I have been doing. (It is important that they view me as a person as opposed to just an insurance agent.)

Each piece of correspondence, sent snail mail not e-mail, has a PS. "If you know anyone else I can help with their insurance needs please give them my phone number". That's how I get referrals. I believe that sending them a "form" to fill out listing their five dearest, most personal friends is a waste of time.

People are not going to give an agent, especially an agent who they know nothing about, a list of their friends to contact. They only do that after the agent has gained their trust and that doesn't happen on the initial appointment. That is something that is earned over time by proving to the client that you really care about them as a person not just a part of a commission check.

I am now getting the children of people I wrote Med Supp policies on in the mid '90's who are turning 65 and coming to me for their Medicare Supplement insurance.

You know what? I like the letter... at least as a test.

Send 20 $5 gift cards and measure your results. If you get anything back, it will have paid for itself. If not, you'll have at least made a warm introduction that you can build on later.

Your letter reminds me of Halbert's tricks.

Try it and see what you get.

Spot on!

If I had to point out the biggest mistake agents who work the senior market make it would be that they don't stay in touch with their clients. I'm not talking about monthly news letters full of boring information about insurance.

I send birthday letters, not cards. Letters are much more personal and more appreciated. An "anniversary letter". Not their wedding anniversary but the anniversary of their policy. I send a "newsletter" around the first of the year about what Jacqueline and I have been doing. (It is important that they view me as a person as opposed to just an insurance agent.)

Each piece of correspondence, sent snail mail not e-mail, has a PS. "If you know anyone else I can help with their insurance needs please give them my phone number". That's how I get referrals. I believe that sending them a "form" to fill out listing their five dearest, most personal friends is a waste of time.

People are not going to give an agent, especially an agent who they know nothing about, a list of their friends to contact. They only do that after the agent has gained their trust and that doesn't happen on the initial appointment. That is something that is earned over time by proving to the client that you really care about them as a person not just a part of a commission check.

I am now getting the children of people I wrote Med Supp policies on in the mid '90's who are turning 65 and coming to me for their Medicare Supplement insurance.
Frank..... I applaud you for doing business the right way. You don't sell anything..... you provide a service to people that are preyed upon by the greedy people called insurance agents. I hope to be as good an advisor/agent as you some day. Bravo ! :yes:

Spot on!

Frank, I love your idea about an "personal" anniversary letter. That is excellent. My father in law's life insurance agent did something akin to this for 20 years (along with Christmas cards, etc.). You couldn't have torn that policy from his hands if you offered it for no premium.

Tony

Thanks for the kind words guys.

I leave a manila folder with all new clients that has my business card stapled to the outside. I tell my new client that this is their "insurance folder". I have been back to see them years later and they still have the manila folder and usually all of the birthday letters I have sent them.

The year Jacqueline and I got married I had a picture at the top of my "newsletter" of us standing in the surf at Daytona beach toasting each other with a glass of champagne. One client had cut the pic out of the newsletter, took it to a frame shop and had it matted and framed. I stopped in to see them a couple of years later and when I walked through the living room it was sitting on their mantle.

I'll probably be their agent for a long time.

Back