Med Supp 2-3 Hour Appointment?

5pill

Super Genius
100+ Post Club
When I sell an FE policy, I'm there at the outside 1 hour. And thats if I eat some cake and have a glass of tea with the applicant, after visiting for 20 minutes. Usually, I have done the deed in 30 minutes and left the scene !!

This is my first med supp appointment that started yesterday:

I am trying to get this med supp thing. I really, really am, but I have a family member with Plan L ! I have talked for 2 days with her and she keeps coming up with question after question after question. She knows more about it than I do. I am trying to get her on G, but the deductible questions and medicine questions, and doctor questions are just slamming me against the wall. I know I will write it, but its gonna take more time and research.....

NO, I have'nt trained....NO, I have'nt taken any courses, and NO I have'nt consulted with Frank. So, I don't need those whippings with a razor strap right now.

But here are the questions.

Even if I was trained, I can see these things lasting for days while they ask me question after question, consult with children, sisters, brothers, doctors, neighbors and the mail man.

Are all these deals this way? Is every appointment a 3 hour visit? Does every carrier have a 15 page application? I don't want to marry these people. I just want to get in and get out.

I guess maybe you just hope you run into those deals where the applicant is clueless, you put 'em on a plan, do the lawwwwwwnnnnnng application, and then hit the road. And I can see that taking 2 or more hours on an easy deal.

Is this the case?:confused:

What is happening is the applicant can sense you are not confident in your answers, hence, more and more questions.
With a little bit of reading and training, there will soon not be a question someone can ask that you don't know the answer to.
With practice, your appointment times will come down.
Less than 60 minutes will be very easy from start to finish.

Once you get the hang of it, it won't take that long to complete an application. T65's there's no health questions. AARP only has one in Florida no matter what the age. Not sure what state/states, you work in.

It can take longer with an above T65 with MoO....having to answer health questions...write down their meds...getting everything completed and signed.

Third party...4th party...5th party....my gosh, that can kill a sale. I hate it when they say they have to talk with so and so. Before someone fires back with...Mrs. Smith, you seem like a sharp lady that's capable of making decisions on your own......sometimes, it doesn't matter what you say.

I ran into a situation earlier this week...replacing Humana PFFS(MAPD's), with AARP Medicare Complete(MAPD's). I knew I was in serious trouble when the old fart said he wanted to talk with his Humana agent before I submitted the apps on he and his wife.

The apps. wound up in file 13....the garbage. Screw that old man. And he's a neighbor....lives a half-mile up the road and there's only one way to get out from the road I live on and that's to go right by his house.:mad::mad::mad:

Last edited:
When I sell an FE policy, I'm there at the outside 1 hour. And thats if I eat some cake and have a glass of tea with the applicant, after visiting for 20 minutes. Usually, I have done the deed in 30 minutes and left the scene !!

This is my first med supp appointment that started yesterday:

I am trying to get this med supp thing. I really, really am, but I have a family member with Plan L ! I have talked for 2 days with her and she keeps coming up with question after question after question. She knows more about it than I do. I am trying to get her on G, but the deductible questions and medicine questions, and doctor questions are just slamming me against the wall. I know I will write it, but its gonna take more time and research.....

NO, I have'nt trained....NO, I have'nt taken any courses, and NO I have'nt consulted with Frank. So, I don't need those whippings with a razor strap right now.

But here are the questions.

Even if I was trained, I can see these things lasting for days while they ask me question after question, consult with children, sisters, brothers, doctors, neighbors and the mail man.

Are all these deals this way? Is every appointment a 3 hour visit? Does every carrier have a 15 page application? I don't want to marry these people. I just want to get in and get out.

I guess maybe you just hope you run into those deals where the applicant is clueless, you put 'em on a plan, do the lawwwwwwnnnnnng application, and then hit the road. And I can see that taking 2 or more hours on an easy deal.

Is this the case?:confused:

I would say that my appointments average about 1 1/2 hours if there is a spouse involved too. I would love to tell you they way I do it if you would like to call me. No, I'm not trying to recruit you, just offer advice. It is very rare for a client to ask a bunch of questions when I present a med. supp. Be very direct and simply ask the questions. By using the techniques below, you will remain in control.

I find that the Med. Supp app is much easier to fill out than a life app. like final expense. The way that I do it and teach people to do it is simply use the forms to point out the benefits to the client, this way you don't have to remember everything, and you will stay on track.

Do this:

1. In front of the application package, there is a form that show's all 12 Med. supps. Using a pen to point, simply go down the list of benefits, explain what they are, flip it over and go over plan L for a comparison

2. Also in the application packet is a form that say's PLAN F (or whatever plan you are selling) an it will show another plan too. It will be broken down into columns labled SERVICES,MEDICARE PAYS, PLAN ? PAYS, YOU PAY. It also seperated into Part A and Part B.

Take your pen and point out the feature, then move over to the next column and say "Medicare pays"??, and then in the YOU PAY column, CIRCLE what they have to pay. This draws attention to the fact that they don't have to pay much, or anything, depending on the plan.

It's as simple as that. Instead of asking for their business, or asking if they are interested, simply say " In order to get this started for you, I will need your red,white, and blue Medicare card" They will go get it for you. Fill out the application, and you are done.

OH, I should have also said that this is a great way for beginners to be able to sell while learning. Of course, you will add more and more knowledge as you go along, and won't need to do this. Doing it this way will allow you to make money why learning, while not getting off track or stumbling through the presentation. This is similar to the way Rosetta Stone teaches people to learn a different language. IMMERSION and Repetition.

Last edited:
Good point....always ask to see the red, white and blue Medicare card. Use that as a close. If they go to get it....start writing!:yes:

Occasionally I will have a 2 hour or longer appointment. But if you can't explain Medicare in 20 minutes you're either going over items people don't care about.

I can explain Medicare A and B in about 5 minutes, including stopping to answer questions. There is no need to review each and every Medicare plan. I review plan F and if the premium differential warrants, I review Plan D or G.

Start to finish is about 30 - 45 minutes for most appointments.

The hard part is getting the appointment. Once you're in the door, you should walk out with an application at least 9 out of 10 times.

Rick

I usually get in and out in an hour....hour and a half at the most and that's BS'ing a few minutes after completing the paperwork.

I don't go over all of the different plans. Usually go with plan C or F....show the prospect what Medicare and the supplement pay. Then...what the prospect pays in premiums and tell them they get automatic claim filing...once Medicare pays...the supplement pays and they should be left owing zero and head for the close.

Man all this face to face stuff must suck. I might meet with 1 out of 25 that I sell. The rest is over the phone and through the mail.

As for the amount of tine spent with each one, I'd say it's no more than 30-45 minutes.

Man all this face to face stuff must suck. I might meet with 1 out of 25 that I sell. The rest is over the phone and through the mail.

As for the amount of tine spent with each one, I'd say it's no more than 30-45 minutes.

I would rather be castrated then sell stuff on the phone all day. I would find that very boring, but I understand there are plenty of people that like it.

I absolutely love going into seniors home, sitting at their table, and helping them with the insurance needs. I absolutely love what I do and it appears that you do too.

I would say about half of the total apps. I write I do by phone calls. It is nice to sit at my desk in a T-shirt and blue jeans and write insurance.

Back