Med Supp Birthday Rule

jn8691mr

Super Genius
100+ Post Club
I read that CA and OR have this rule. I'm trying to find a list of states that also have this rule. I can't seem to find it by googling. Can anyone help?

I read that CA and OR have this rule. I'm trying to find a list of states that also have this rule. I can't seem to find it by googling. Can anyone help?

You just listed off the states - CA & OR.

I believe MO has an anniversary rule similar to birthday but it has to be within 30 days of their annual renewal date.

You just listed off the states - CA & OR. I believe MO has an anniversary rule similar to birthday but it has to be within 30 days of their annual renewal date.

Oh ok ... So they are the only 3? I was trying to find out if NJ had that rule.

Yes, NJ does not have the birthday rule. I wouldn't be too upset though because I think carriers are going to start cutting comp down in states with the birthday rule... I know UHC just did that here in OR.

I thought they already did. Not that I've experienced it. Just that I thought someone mentioned it.
I can see it happening tho

I thought they already did. Not that I've experienced it. Just that I thought someone mentioned it. I can see it happening tho

Last time I looked into it some of the big players had lowered comp already but not everyone. I'm assuming everyone will eventually lower comp in birthday rule states

Not quite the same but Washington has year round open enrollment as long as your replacing another med supp

Last time I looked into it some of the big players had lowered comp already but not everyone. I'm assuming everyone will eventually lower comp in birthday rule states

Because OR requires the same commission for OE/GI as for UW, the only recourse the companies have is to lower comp across the board.

UHC has been about $135-150 for the past couple of years. I think Oxford just dropped comp in half (might have been TA).

Oregon isn't looking as profitable as it once was.

Rick

I hope IAC doesn't do that.... You'd lose me as a customer, lol. That's who I use in Calif to replace higher premium supp policies. And I aint the doing it for $25!

Missouri has an anniversary rule that works like the birthday, but is based on the purchase date of the policy and not the beneficiary's birthday.

As mentioned, one of the things to watch when servicing that market is the reduced commissions. Some carriers will only pay one time commission ($25) or will pay reduced commissions for anniversary business.

Back