medigap policy non payment

golfnut

Super Genius
100+ Post Club
What option exists when a person lets their medigap policy lapse due to non payment? Does he/she have to medically qualify for a new policy? , that is my understanding. Can he/she apply immediately? or do they have to wait for NOV. 15? Can they enroll in Med advantage plan on Nov 15? I would assume so without evidence of insurability, feedback appreciated

What option exists when a person lets their medigap policy lapse due to non payment? Does he/she have to medically qualify for a new policy? , that is my understanding. Can he/she apply immediately? or do they have to wait for NOV. 15? Can they enroll in Med advantage plan on Nov 15? I would assume so without evidence of insurability, feedback appreciated

For Medicare Supplement they can re-apply at any time however it will be underwritten unless they are still within their 6-Month GI window and they could be declined. There are no enrollment periods for A-L plans, all year any time.

They can go MA or MAPD 11/15 during open enrollment unless they have ESRD in which case they would be declined.

You have to look at your state laws. In my state you have guaranteed issue as long as you have not had more than a 90 gap in coverage since the first time they were eligible to enroll so it depends on how long they have been without. Probably isnt that way where you are but you have to see what the rules are there.

I dont think it makes any difference one way or the other as far as an MA. You just have to meet the criteria for being eligible for an MA.

Winter

If it's past the 30 day grace period that a Medicare supplement offers they usually have to answer health questions to requalify. Some companies will make exceptions to the 30 day grace period, if it's not too far past the 30 days. They can reapply immediately. They don't have to wait until November 15th. Medicare supplements can be written all year long, there is no lock in period with a Medicare supplement. If you come across someone that has an MA plan or MAPD plan those are the people that are usually locked in and you can't write them a Medicare supplement or a new MAPD plan until Nov 15-Dec31 for a January 1st issue date.

There is no AEP for a med sup. They would have to qualify for a new med sup unless your state law allows a GI period.

During AEP, they could go with any MA, MAPD or stand alone PDP available. Unless they have ESRD.

They could get into an MA, MAPD or stand alone PDP now if they qualify for any one of the many SEP's.

Back