OEP & VA Question

insurance0707

Guru
1000 Post Club
Michigan
I have an unusual case. I have a client that has a MAPD plan. He wants to go back to original Medicare and a Medicare supplement during this OEP time period. He's a veteran and has VA prescription coverage, so he doesn't really want to take out a prescription plan. Do you think he could make this change and the VA prescription coverage would count the same as a PDP plan? I don't even know where you would begin to look and find this info. I would call Medicare but half the time they don't think you can even enroll in a PDP plan during OEP

He can drop his MAPD during OEP and pick up a supplement. The VA prescription coverage is creditable coverage as far as I know. Even if it isn't he can drop the MAPD during OEP. They are not locked in until April 1st.

He took out his MAPD over a year ago. When you make changes during OEP it has to be a like to like change, that's why I wasn't sure if this would be allowed or not.

Even with creditable coverage I don't think he can drop the PDP benefit. The VA is not Part D, but creditable. So he cannot add or delete the drug portion.

Find the cheapest PDP for him and write the med supp.

Rick

He wont have guaranteed issue,but will be able to go back to original Medicare,pick up the supp and use his VA as creditible coverage.

Rick, I kind of think your answer is right but I'm hoping that thebrit is right :) thebrit, where are you getting the info that he can go back during OEP? Thanks in advance.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
I called 1-800-Medicare and explained the situation. They said it is allowable during OEP to go from an MAPD plan back to original Medicare and the VA is considered "creditable" prescription coverage and an allowable change.

Last edited:
YES YOU CAN! :skeptical:

Non-TriCare Vet's need to understand their limitations of VA Rx Benefits (i.e. Formulary / ER room / ect...). Many opt for PartD.

YES YOU CAN! :skeptical:

Non-TriCare Vet's need to understand their limitations of VA Rx Benefits (i.e. Formulary / ER room / ect...). Many opt for PartD.

Non-TriCare Vet? Is that a vet who is on disability due to military service?
Limitations of VA Rx Benefits? What are these limitations that you speak of?

Back