State Merit - Georgia

Thank you, I didn't know if I had missed anything, I have a neighbor that called me and said that her doctors were out of network with State Merit and she wanted something different, she went with a zero premium plan and was happy. Yesterday a friend of hers convinced her that she had lost some golden State benefits.

How golden could they have been if her doctor wouldn't accept the plan? I just love when friends think they know more than the agent.

But like I said, some (probably most) think by not going with the state benefits that they are throwing away something they've earned.

I tried using the thumbs up lol I am not sure but looks like it said thumbs down, but I do appreciate your input and I agree!

For years BX offered the SHBP retiree coverage and did a credible job. The network was strong but the premiums were way out of line compared to what you could get in the open market.

About 2 yrs ago UHC made a bid to take the retiree portion away from BX and came in with premiums about 70% less than BX, slightly richer benefits but a smaller network.

For a year you could choose between BX and UHC then this year BX bowed out. They lost a lot of $$ on the retiree plan.

UHC must have magic fairy dust if they think they can offer more benefit for fewer dollars.

UHC must have magic fairy dust if they think they can offer more benefit for fewer dollars.

You mean one of the same carriers who was all for Obamacare and now they are contemplating pulling out of the market? Yes, they have some dust but I think they've been snorting it.

GA SHBP for 65+ A couple called me that had one of them going on GA MAPD due to T65.

Wanted info on Med Supp and PDP options. $25 a month with $3500 MOOP and $88 a month with $2500. PPO with no extra charge for out of network as long as the doc or hospital accepts Medicare.

I don't recall other MAPD PPO plans being that broad for out of network. Seems like a pretty strong MA plan overall. I am always hesitant to move people off employer plans.

Last edited:
This years SHBP plan is better than what you can get in the market. Next year, who knows.

That's just one of the issues with SHBP.

They had BX for years. Blue lost so much money on retirees they practically begged for someone to take it off their hands.

And along came UHC.

Check the network. I wrote a couple last year. Wife retiring from school system. Lived in Clayton GA. Nearest network hospital was 15 miles away. Only 4 network hospitals in a 30 mile radius and two of those were out of state.

You don't move them off the employer plan. Lay out the option and let them decide.

That's what I did. They seemed most interested in a Plan N if they went Med Supp.

And plan benefits for N locked in. Network, MOOP not locked in for State MAPD, but better than any MAPD they can get on the market, but things change every year.

By the time you add up premiums and drug plan best to leave them on the UHC plan and take the higher ded for $25 bucks. Just my opinion. I have a copy of the plan from a client who was considering his options.

By the time you add up premiums and drug plan best to leave them on the UHC plan and take the higher ded for $25 bucks. Just my opinion. I have a copy of the plan from a client who was considering his options.

When I spoke with them, the $25 plan was the one they would choose if going with state plan. They wanted to see other options before making final decision. He will have 8/1 effective date.

I was told even the HR person said don't go with the $88 dollar plan and that most people go with the $25.

I'm surprised at how many state federal gov't employees act clueless about the retirement benefits.

Back