Turning Part B on After Turning 65

beachbum2012

Super Genius
100+ Post Club
So it seems like lately I'm having a lot of T65 appointments with folks who are needing assistance with Medicare supplements after they turn 65, either for them or their older spouses currently on their employer group plans. Up til this point, I've just been telling them to contact SSA a couple months before they want their Part B turned on. However, in a lot of situations they get their Part B effective date to be either earlier or later than they wanted. This either results in double coverage where they waste money for a month or 2 on a Part B premium, or they lose coverage from work and don't have anything or have to pick up COBRA for a month or 2 until Part B starts.

Clients will tell me different things that SSA tells them too. One lady told me they gave her the forms to fill out but not to come back in no more than one month before she wants Part B to start. Another client told me they told her she can only get her Part B to start in Dec. or Feb., but not Jan. like she wants, because Part B can only be turned on at certain times and not whenever she wants.

What's the best process to use with these folks to ensure they get their Part B when they want with as little hassle as possible? Is it true that when they retire Part B can only start at certain times, or can they choose it to start as soon as their employer coverage stops?

So it seems like lately I'm having a lot of T65 appointments with folks who are needing assistance with Medicare supplements after they turn 65, either for them or their older spouses currently on their employer group plans. Up til this point, I've just been telling them to contact SSA a couple months before they want their Part B turned on. However, in a lot of situations they get their Part B effective date to be either earlier or later than they wanted. This either results in double coverage where they waste money for a month or 2 on a Part B premium, or they lose coverage from work and don't have anything or have to pick up COBRA for a month or 2 until Part B starts. Clients will tell me different things that SSA tells them too. One lady told me they gave her the forms to fill out but not to come back in no more than one month before she wants Part B to start. Another client told me they told her she can only get her Part B to start in Dec. or Feb., but not Jan. like she wants, because Part B can only be turned on at certain times and not whenever she wants. What's the best process to use with these folks to ensure they get their Part B when they want with as little hassle as possible? Is it true that when they retire Part B can only start at certain times, or can they choose it to start as soon as their employer coverage stops?
The beneficiary writes "I want Medicare Part B to start [month] 1" in section 14 (Remarks) of the Medicare application. Their SEP is available all 12 months. I tell my clients to take it in to SSA office with the completed RFEI 4-8 weeks prior to when they want benefits to start. I have one client--or a couple--in this situation every week. Never ran into the problems described.

Keep this form on file, and learn as much as you can about Social Security and Medicare. You may want to call SSA and request forms with a local address.

After I started digging deeper and learning more about the actual entitlement programs, in addition to insurance product knowledge, I was able to quit buying leads and work with more "A" clients on a referral basis.

Attachments

• Medicare Enrollment Application.pdf
    1.4 MB · Views: 80
Last edited:
So I think I figured out what was happening with several of my clients. They were covered under their employer insurance for only a month or 2 after their Part B would typically start, so they were still under their IEP, rather than a SEP. For example, I have a client who's 65th birthday is in November. She's covered thru work until the end of December. However, SSA told her Medicare Part B could only start on either December 1st (if she signs up in November) or February 1st (if she signs up in December), but not January 1st like she wants. The link that explains this well is here: When will my coverage start? | Medicare.gov

I guess my question is: since she's still covered thru an employer and wasn't just late in enrolling for Part B, can she sign up for Part B using an SEP instead of her IEP?

So I think I figured out what was happening with several of my clients. They were covered under their employer insurance for only a month or 2 after their Part B would typically start, so they were still under their IEP, rather than a SEP. For example, I have a client who's 65th birthday is in November. She's covered thru work until the end of December. However, SSA told her Medicare Part B could only start on either December 1st (if she signs up in November) or February 1st (if she signs up in December), but not January 1st like she wants. The link that explains this well is here: When will my coverage start? | Medicare.gov I guess my question is: since she's still covered thru an employer and wasn't just late in enrolling for Part B, can she sign up for Part B using an SEP instead of her IEP?
Yes but IEP trumps SEP so the SEP--which has no delay in start date--can't be used until after IEP ends. She can drop the EGHP one month earlier than retirement date and use her IEP in Nov for a Dec 1 start.

Keep this form on file, and learn as much as you can about Social Security and Medicare. You may want to call SSA and request forms with a local address.

After I started digging deeper and learning more about the actual entitlement programs, in addition to insurance product knowledge, I was able to quit buying leads and work with more "A" clients on a referral basis.

Thanks for the link, these forms are exactly what I need! I got a referral call last Wednesday, employee is dropping out of group 9/30/14 at age 66, sticker shock. Employer is not averaging the group rates to adjust for age. Will be retiring soon, but needs Part B coverage now. May be able to get 9/30/14 date if she goes to SS office stat. I have 2 clients who were able to get their Part B quickly by going to the local office, with employer coverage ending in just a couple days. Not what I recommend when I can get to the client ahead of time.

When will my Medicare coverage start?

If you sign up for Part A/ B in this month: Your coverage starts:

The month you turn 65 1 month after you sign up

1 month after you turn 65 2 months after you sign up

2 months after you turn 65 3 months after you sign up

3 months after you turn 65 3 months after you sign up

During the January 1–March 31 General Enrollment Period July 1

Another tidbit of information about those that "wait" or didn't know they needed to activate their Medicare if not drawing retirement benefits. I've had the second scenario bite one client who had already cancelled her individual plan and not signed up for Medicare benefits until the month after turning 65.

T65'd in October, signed up in November, benefits started January. Uninsured for three months total and enduring huge medical events.

No buena!!

When will my Medicare coverage start? If you sign up for Part A/ B in this month: Your coverage starts: The month you turn 65 1 month after you sign up 1 month after you turn 65 2 months after you sign up 2 months after you turn 65 3 months after you sign up 3 months after you turn 65 3 months after you sign up During the January 1–March 31 General Enrollment Period July 1 Another tidbit of information about those that "wait" or didn't know they needed to activate their Medicare if not drawing retirement benefits. I've had the second scenario bite one client who had already cancelled her individual plan and not signed up for Medicare benefits until the month after turning 65. T65'd in October, signed up in November, benefits started January. Uninsured for three months total and enduring huge medical events. No buena!!
I've had a similar situation happen a couple of times, but fortunately for the beneficiary it was group coverage that had ended before the delayed Part B began. So for them they had to take COBRA benefits that they were hoping to avoid (or keep the COBRA option available and hope for two claim-free months).

Back