VA Health Benefits, Part B Penalty and LIS

kennethbroyles

Guru
100+ Post Club
I have helped a couple apply for LIS @ SSA.gov. From the 2015 poverty income guidelines, I think they should qualify for Medicare Savings Program from Georgia; paying Part B penalty he has because of costs and having VA Health Benefit. The B Penalty is calculated to bring his premium up to about $165/mo., now before 2016 increase. {if and or buts} Does anyone have good information on if he has a SEP for Part B, or ......???

Thanks

Part B penalty is a non-issue if he has had VA coverage the whole time. Plus LIS deletes the penalty as well.

If they get LIS they will have a SEP every month of the year.

Part B penalty is a non-issue if he has had VA coverage the whole time. Plus LIS deletes the penalty as well.

If they get LIS they will have a SEP every month of the year.

You sure you're not getting Part B mixed up with Part D? There is an LEP for both.

Part B penalty is a non-issue if he has had VA coverage the whole time. Plus LIS deletes the penalty as well. If they get LIS they will have a SEP every month of the year.
VA benefits are not creditable for Part B, so there would only not be an issue if a vet never enrolled in part B. An LEP would apply. However, you are correct that the LIS gets that penalty waived.

Doh!! Sorry, yes, I read D instead of B. If he has part B penalty, he is stuck with it until he gets the state to pay for it if he is SLMB or QMB.

Back