What Would You Do if You Were Me?

billyb

Guru
1000 Post Club
Florida
I was affiliated with Florida Blue until recently. A few years ago I contracted with an agency in Jacksonville after they e-mailed me about becoming an agent. I sold about 50 MAPD's while under their hierarchy. Late last year I moved my appointment to a local Florida Blue CGA. Before I did I asked the man in Jacksonville if I would lose my renewals. He stated " I would never take earnings away from an agent". Well he lied. I have found out that the AOR has been changed on all of the policies that I wrote and I have not received any renewals. Should I accept the fact that I have lost over $10,000 in renewal income?

I was affiliated with Florida Blue until recently. A few years ago I contracted with an agency in Jacksonville after they e-mailed me about becoming an agent. I sold about 50 MAPD's while under their hierarchy. Late last year I moved my appointment to a local Florida Blue CGA. Before I did I asked the man in Jacksonville if I would lose my renewals. He stated " I would never take earnings away from an agent". Well he lied. I have found out that the AOR has been changed on all of the policies that I wrote and I have not received any renewals. Should I accept the fact that I have lost over $10,000 in renewal income?

Were you being paid by the carrier or the agency? How did the AOR get changed? Usually a client has to give written consent to change the AOR.

were you as an outside agent contracted or as an employee

I have moved some contracts from 1 FMO to another without losing renewals,

On the other hand when I sold Maj Med for a brokerage as an employee it was understood when you leave you leave with nothing and so went my residuals.

I had been under the impression that it always goes this way according to your position.

I could be wrong.

You are an independent contractor appointed under the CGA. Florida Blue pays the CGA who is then supposed to pay you. I was told that he actually owns the book of business. I was also told that commission issues are between me and the CGA.

You are an independent contractor appointed under the CGA. Florida Blue pays the CGA who is then supposed to pay you. I was told that he actually owns the book of business. I was also told that commission issues are between me and the CGA.

If commissions were paid to CGA and then they paid you, there's nothing you can do. This is exhibit A as to why you should never assign commissions.

Very tough lesson to learn.

Florida Blue will only pay the CGA not the agent directly. You can only hope that the CGA is honest, but most are not.

Back