Whats Going On In Texas?

Your right! Excess charges apply to non participating physicians, not those who have formally opted out of Medicare.

This article is more about physicians opting to not pay for the expensive upgrade to ERM compliance.

Your right! Excess charges apply to non participating physicians, not those who have formally opted out of Medicare. This article is more about physicians opting to not pay for the expensive upgrade to ERM compliance.

Is it his right or his left?

CAN they afford to let go of Medicare? I would think that it's a huge chunk of her practice, especially neurology. Conservatively, I would say AT LEAST 1/3 of her business (think alzheimer/dementia pts). If Medicare reimbursements decline, wouldn't MA reimbursements necessarily decline in tandem?
What's happening here is this physician apparently can't afford the upgrade of her IT, which is now a requirement for ERM compliance. I guess its an expensive process and a lot of small family practices are non-compliant. The're getting penalized for this.

Most providers lose $$$ on Medicare pts or at best, break even. Figures I have seen for the EMR software start around $40k and go up.

Many practices are selling out to larger groups or hospitals to avoid having to shoulder the cost of new software. Other changes to Medicare reimbursement (accountability) make the squeeze even worse, especially for those that treat high risk patients.

If you drill down the article is about Obamacare and limited access to health care.

I just played along for the benefit of others.

Others? What others? These others?

the-others.jpg

Back