Mountain Lion and Firefox

G

Heads-up.

If you install the new OS X Mountain Lion and use Firefox you may find some sites that don't render right... or at all... or some javascript buttons don't work, etc... after the upgrade. I found this to be especially true with WordPress sites.

Do a shift-Reload of the page. May take a few seconds.

The best thing to do is empty ALL of your cache and things will be fine. (Tools, Clear Recent History, check Cache, pick Everything.) No need to dump cookies or any other data... just the cache... and there is nothing in there you need to keep anyway.

Al
I am here

A web cache is a mechanism for the temporary storage (caching) of web documents, such as HTML pages and images, to reduce bandwidth usage, server load, and perceived lag. A web cache stores copies of documents passing through it; subsequent requests may be satisfied from the cache if certain conditions are met... saving a download and "wasted" bandwidth.

There are no passwords or cookies in cache. They are stored in another file.

Some people clear their cache each time they log off (some browsers can be set to do that.) Some like me, never clear cache unless the browser is getting slow or wonky. FF lets you clear the cache from certain time periods... a day, a week, etc. With FF, clearing a large cache can take several minutes... and often FF crashes! It is best to let it clear the cache and use Chrome or Safari instead until you think it is done (and you don't get a message!)

Cleaning the cache can make your browser faster, but not right away. Searching a large cache to see if a page is stored takes longer then if the cache is small. However, the first time you go to all your regular pages (i.e. Google, Yahoo, MSN, this board) the site will be cached. However, not often a problem because most news sites change daily (or faster) and the page would be cached anyway.

Hello. Is it found under "options" in FF?I did not see where I clean it out.

On the Mac version it is under the Tools menu, Clear Recent History. Check the box "cache" and choose "everything" from the drop-down at top and click "Clear Now."

On Windows it might be in a different location, but it will be somewhere!

There is a "clear" in Preferences, Advanced, Network. I tried that one, but it hung FF such that I had to do a "force quit" to get rid of it. The one under Tools works fine.

Back