• Do you have any victories you'd like to share for the month of May? Help us celebrate others by posting here.

Can Some one enroll into Medicare when

Yes they can enroll in Medicare at anytime as long as they have creditable group coverage. The key is whether or not the employer plan will allow them to come off outside of the plans Open Enrollment period. Enrolling in Medicare after 65 does not create an SEP to drop group coverage...so it really depends on how that group plan is set up. That's my understanding at least

I believe the IRS has issued that Medicare eligibility is a QLE to drop employer coverage. If Medicare can be picked up at anytime that you're on an employer plan, you should be able to drop the employer plan at any time too.

The SEP is Loss of group coverage. I’ve had plenty of people drop their group coverage when it got worse and we weren’t in AEP. This is in FL though.

Same here and I'm in PA.

I believe the IRS has issued that Medicare eligibility is a QLE to drop employer coverage. If Medicare can be picked up at anytime that you're on an employer plan, you should be able to drop the employer plan at any time too.

Same here and I'm in PA.
Medicare eligibility as in Turning 65

The SEP is Loss of group coverage. I’ve had plenty of people drop their group coverage when it got worse and we weren’t in AEP. This is in FL though.

I've delt with this some years ago but don't remember the details

I feel like I remember, SEP was good for MAPD but not PDP for some reason

Loss of group coverage SEP varies by carrier and state.

In some situations voluntary loss of coverage creates the SEP . . . other times the loss must be involuntary.

Involuntary loss is more common but a carrier may allow voluntary loss at their discretion. If a jurisdiction mandates voluntary loss as a QLE then carriers have no choice except to comply.

Yes its been a while since I delt with this but you are right NO SEP that is the issue

they will have penalty later as well for not getting drug cov

Thank You
Maybe it's just the states I have mainly dealt in (NC, SC TX) but I have never had an issue when applying for Part D and using the SEP for loss of employer coverage. The SEP for Part D doesn't ask if voluntary loss or not.

My original comment about SEP (should have called it a qualifying event) was more in reference to the group plan having to let him drop the employer coverage in the middle of the year...not his ability to enroll in PDP. I have had it where someone wants to do what you are saying but their employer says they cannot drop the group coverage until their open enrollment period for the group comes up

Last edited:
How did this thread evolve into discussions about enrolling in a PDP? Vic's OP only asked about enrolling in Medicare at 67 while covered under EGH.

Same here and I'm in PA.
(caveat, not an agent.)

This is very confusing to the uninitiated, and You, Chazm, and KAK also seem to be taking a point of view diametrically opposed to Vic's. In addition, there seem to be at least 3 separate SEP's in play here, which confuses me further.
The employer coverage SEP for a Medicare Part B application with SS.
The employer coverage SEP for Medigap coverage.
The employer coverage SEP for Part D coverage.

Are you saying, in your judgement, that once one turns 65 they can stay on employer health coverage and subsequently leave it AT ANY AGE -- without retiring from work -- (not just the months right around 65) and have access to the Part B and Part D SEP's, and possibly the Medigap SEP, depending on State Rules?

(And please, I don't have a good reputation here with some, and my wording may not be the best, I am NOT trying to pick fights here, just wanting to see more clearly the points being discussed.)

Last edited:
I believe it is only a QLE upon turning 65 when you are first eligible

Back