Portability of individual BC/BS plans

Interesting info. So what happens when the BCBS in one state does not operate in another state? As an example, BCBSNC plan being transferred to BCBSFL?
No problem so long as the licensee is not the same. It is not very common but can be an issue in CA because we have two separate licensees (one of which is Anthem). Someone on Anthem BCBSCO doing at T-6 to CA MUST go with Anthem BC CA. BTW, Moonlight told me that BCBSFL has the T-6 plan with $100k max as well.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
You mean they don't pay you the 2% commission that Anthem so generously offers here? I am shocked.
We get a goose egg in CA for T-6 transfers. I'd like to get 2%.
Got it, thx Dave.

BCBSGA is an Anthem/Wellpoint company but no way to know if that holds any water here. I have passed on all the information to these folks and will see what happens.

Up to my butt in alligator's and don't have a lot of time for working for free, but will keep my finger in this as much as I can.
CareFirst to GA Blue is fine, no licensee issues. Now if GA also had a CareFirst BCBS then the member would have to elect the T-6 transfer with CareFirst, no with the other Blue

Last edited:
I don't get squat on HIPAA plans. Supposedly we are to be paid, but I have submitted half a dozen HIPAA apps in the last year and haven't seen a dime on any of them. When I call, the carrier says they don't pay commissions on that particular plan.

The DOI says differently and frankly, I don't have the time or desire to fight it.

That's pretty lame....UHC and Humana both pay full commission on the base premium here. Anthem pays 2%, don't know what Assurant/Aetna pay but they are never competitive anyway.
No problem so long as the licensee is not the same. It is not very common but can be an issue in CA because we have two separate licensees (one of which is Anthem). Someone on Anthem BCBSCO doing at T-6 to CA MUST go with Anthem BC CA. BTW, Moonlight told me that BCBSFL has the T-6 plan with $100k max as well.

We get a goose egg in CA for T-6 transfers. I'd like to get 2%.

CareFirst to GA Blue is fine, no licensee issues. Now if GA also had a CareFirst BCBS then the member would have to elect the T-6 transfer with CareFirst, no with the other Blue

Great info, thanks.

Last edited:
CareFirst to GA Blue is fine, no licensee issues.

I will pass that along to the folks at BCBSGA and see how far we get.

Don't get me wrong. I appreciate the info.

I have been trying to get clarification on what drugs are covered under their SmartSense with expanded Rx plan for 3 months and have yet to get an answer. I can't even get a response to how non-formulary drugs are covered under the plan.

Compared to that, interplan transfers are rocket surgery.

We are "blacked out" right now with Anthem for pretty much anything except HMO plans. DOI has not yet approved the new plan designs and rates so there is no SmartSense to sell anyone today!

(let's see...Poizner loses to Whitman with one pivotal issue being the Anthem BC rate increase that never went into effect. Now Anthem needs Poizner to approve new plan designs with commensurate rates for 9/23. I can't for the life of me imagine what the hold up could be:yes:)

Latest posts

Back