1 Year Domain Registration for $1

Robert Barney,

I didn't join the forums to promote my company. I just got licensed to sell insurance back in April. When it comes to websites and online businesses, that's my thing. So I'm taking knowledge from the forums and giving back when I can, that's just how I work. Domains names for a buck is pretty exciting to us web developers who may be purchasing 100's of them. Do the math.

I try to stray away from listing prices because I like to evaluate what a client's needs are and then go from there. I'm a consultant more than a web hosting company. Have you sold life insurance? Do you sell them something that is one size fits all or let them tell you what they need? Or do carefully evaluate what their needs are, and then find them something that works best for them?

If everyone that came to my site was given the ability to purchase what they think they needed for their website in terms of hosting I'd be just like the many other web hosting providers out there.

I don't need to discount my services. I'm good at what I do.

I didn't say you needed to discount the prices for your services, I just asked what the prices were?

You are excited about $1 domain names, and that does stand out as a bargain and one people should take advantage of. But the domain name does not include hosting or developing the site and agents who don't have sites should have a perspective on the costs of that.

Can an agent come to you and get a simple site for a flat fee? What is that fee?

If not, what is your hourly charge to design and develop a site? What is the minimum amount of time you have ever billed in setting up a site?

Robert,
If you make sites yourself, why does it matter what he does? He's made it clear that he isn't here to get business. He was just posting good information (that I personally took advantage of....thanks Ray). I'm sure that based on the above if anyone wants to know more, they will e-mail or PM him.

Besides, why would you post prices on a forum? If you go up in a year all the people from the message board are calling to raise hell that the prices aren't accurate.

Robert,
If you make sites yourself, why does it matter what he does? He's made it clear that he isn't here to get business. He was just posting good information (that I personally took advantage of....thanks Ray). I'm sure that based on the above if anyone wants to know more, they will e-mail or PM him.

Besides, why would you post prices on a forum? If you go up in a year all the people from the message board are calling to raise hell that the prices aren't accurate.

Robert, I agree with briko3 (I think THAT is a first!) This new guy has not blatently advertised his service (as you have yours in previous threads) and is says he is here to help (which is not something you do a whole lot of either in this venue.) Let him alone. You're doing well (about $500,000 a year) selling your software so what is your beef with this guy? You think he may take biz away from you? I don't see how that computes, but I've stopped trying to figure out the mental processes of guys like you who carry a concealed weapon everywhere you go (as you have stated earlier.)

So far this guy has done nothing but have to defend himself against YOU. If you want to beat the crap out of him may I suggest that you take it to the non-insurance section (or the fight-club section?) Non-ins. is where it really belongs... and of recent, I don't think there is a more-prolific poster in that section than yourself.

Ray, don't pay much attention to Robert and the few others here who are not here teach... but who are here to preach... who are not here to serve... but to rule.

Welcome.

Al3

Ray,

For the renewal, does it go back to GoDaddy's original domain cost ($9.99 I think)?

But Either way to put that into perspective, Network Solutions charges $34.99 for a new and renewed domain on an annual basis.

If that Godaddy deal comes without the annual hosting they try to normally throw in that's a very good deal.

If that Godaddy deal comes without the annual hosting they try to normally throw in that's a very good deal.

I've never understood the Godaddy biz model for domain registration. I think they have to send ICAN around $5 a month for top-level DNS so how can they and so many others offer such loss-leading registration rates coupled with such low hosting rates? Maybe one of you SEO/web guys can explain it to us?

I've been told that Godaddy and 1&1 and some others have all their datacenters in low-overhead Eastern Europe and China but I don't know for sure.

I register with PairNIC.com and host with pair.com and have for about six years. They are way more expensive than 1&1, Godad etc., but I have special tech-security needs for a server that they are very good at providing. YMMV.

Al3

I've never understood the Godaddy biz model for domain registration. I think they have to send ICAN around $5 a month for top-level DNS so how can they and so many others offer such loss-leading registration rates coupled with such low hosting rates? Maybe one of you SEO/web guys can explain it to us?

I've been told that Godaddy and 1&1 and some others have all their datacenters in low-overhead Eastern Europe and China but I don't know for sure.

I register with PairNIC.com and host with pair.com and have for about six years. They are way more expensive than 1&1, Godad etc., but I have special tech-security needs for a server that they are very good at providing. YMMV.

Al3
Speaking from experience w/ GoDaddy (I used to actually be one of the top Wild West Domains "WWD" resellers until I sold my customers back to GoDaddy who made everyone DomainsPricedRight customers) when it comes to the ICANN registration I think the fee was only 25 cents (USD), WWD charged me $1.99 per domain and I charged whatever I want. But, most of my money was made from the shared hosting and website tonight packages.

When it comes to shared hosting GoDaddy doesn't give anywhere near the amount of resources advertised to their shared hosting customers, I've noticed that any sites that get over 600 megs of bandwidth will strain the server's resources for all of the other customers. The serious money isn't made on the domains, but there is money to be made. The money is made selling, then called "deluxe & premium", hosting to people who would never use over 1% of the advertised bandwidth and space. (Similar to gyms who make their money billing people who never actually return to the gym after a few times.)

As soon as you start getting any traffic or using Ruby on Rails or running high loads on their SQL servers they'll upsell you to their VPS (Virtual Private Servers).

I'm not familiar w/ 1&1 too much, but I've used HostGator, Dreamhost, and Siteground in depth - theirs and GoDaddy's datacenters are all in the Southern United States (Godaddy's being in Scottsdale).

For a few projects I'm working on (Debt Settlement & Discount Website Design) I'm currently using The Planet (ThePlanet.com) and couldn't be happier.

Last edited:
RadiusBob - I'm sure the domain will go back to whatever the normal price is. I have never paid more that 7.49 for a domain name. I simply do a Google search for GoDaddy Promo Codes and I also various resources that I used to come across these things.

Did you read the title of the thread?

"1 Year Domain Registration for $1"

So you ask, "why would you post prices on a forum?" I suspect the answer to that is because you thought the prices were "news" or worthy of discussion. Is there another reason?

Then the second question on this thread asked:

"Does that include hosting?"

Which begs the question, and what does hosting cost?

And I wanted more specifics and everyone is reading into that an ulterior motive. Wasn't this a thread about internet costs?

So post your current rates. I think it's a stretch to say that posting about a sale on godaddy is the same as posting YOUR prices as they stand now. I could be wrong. I would, however, be interested in seeing your prices. I could PM you, but like you said...easier to post on here.

Back