25 y/o - Depression / Anxiety - on Probation . . .

Being depressed does not cause someone to commit suicide. The depression may cause them to feel down and possibly not want to live, but they must still choose to take their own life.

Her build is the result of her choices and no other factor. She chose to eat what she ate, and that's why she is fat. Being depressed cannot physically cause anyone to eat food, nor can it cause someone to not exercise. Did someone or something hold a gun to her head and make her intake a caloric excess for years? There is almost no chance that is possible. In fact, I'd bet my left arm that didn't happen.

In regards to committing crimes, how is that not also her choice? Did her depression or some other influence force her to engage in the crime without it being her choice? No way. She chose.

It's all been her choice. Unless she was physically forced to do any of this, then and only then would it not be because of her choices.

I sympathize with people who suffer from depression. Having said that, depression does not relieve one's obligation to be solely responsible for their choices.

You must live in a bubble. You know very little about depression.

You must live in a bubble. You know very little about depression.

For someone that wants to recruit and train agents he certainly knows little about underwriting. Maybe instead of BSing the highest contract possible he should have hooked up with a GA that could help.

Someone on the forum pointed out years ago that this is not rocket science. Wait, I remember who said it and then failed a few times because it is rocket science.

Rick

There is no disease, condition or genetic profile or defect that causes any human being to gain body fat when they have a caloric deficit. Gaining body fat is 100% and irrefutably the cause of a caloric excess. It's impossible to gain fat if you do not oversupply your body with food.

A person's genetics dictates many things such as muscle shape, metabolism, body fat distribution, as well as many other things. What genetics can't do in any scenario is create fat when the body is not supplied with a caloric excess. For example, weigh loss surgery (bariatric surgery) is nothing more than a way to forcibly restrict caloric intake. Obese people only lose weight post surgery because they physically cannot eat like they use to. This process results in caloric deficits so they lose fat. Nothing about their metabolism or genetics change. It's 100% their food intake. All fat people are fat because they take in more calories than they burn. There are no exceptions to this rule.

Lastly, you cannot say "depression can be the cause". The cause is that she chose. You could say that depression influences her decision, but it's not the cause. There is no scenario where the choice isn't 100% hers (like all of us).

The problem with dialogue such as yours is that it enables destructive behavior. Telling this woman (or anyone) that these bad choices aren't entirely her fault only cripples her. The truth must be told even if it's painful. To do otherwise, is weak and breeds bad behavior.
The main thing I didn't agree with that you said is that "Being depressed does not cause someone to commit suicide." :skeptical:

Seems the prospect "threatened" to commit suicide - didn't actually try or do it. She was admitted for 5 days to a Mental Health Clinic for Depression. Not asked on the application.

Probation isn't drug related. Not asked on the application.

There seems to be two carriers that based on the Application and Questions - would possibly provide 1st day level coverage. But - that is going to be an UW decision.

As an Agent - my responsibility is in asking the questions that are on the application. It's not my place to judge or recite any "assumptions" that I may have.
Who's the 2nd company?:huh:

So - if an Agent heard through a prospects Mom, that the prospect threatened to commit suicide, but didn't - and instead went into a Mental Health Clinic to get treated for Depression and also is on Probation for a non-drug / alcohol issue - should that Agent report that to the Carrier even if the Carrier's applications asks none of those questions?

I want to provide this prospects Family protection for her child - but, don't want to write the case if it's unethical. Thoughts?
If you don't feel comfortable pre-qualifying the application with the company before you send it in..............then you shouldn't send it in. Like Vol said, call the UW and ask. And take notes to CYA.:yes:

Latest posts

Back