5 Worst Call Call Openers

I still telemarket. From my perspective, far too many people try to avoid "no." No is great - and please say it quickly so I can get to the next call.

I have no come-backs, no "but..." - nadda. If I even catch a whiff of they can't wait for the call to end, I'll end it and put 'em out of their misery.

I also don't care about percentages. All I care about is low long I was on the phone and how clients I attained.

Being on the phone for a few hours a day, if you can land a client is a "first world problem."

I still telemarket. From my perspective, far too many people try to avoid "no." No is great - and please say it quickly so I can get to the next call.

I have no come-backs, no "but..." - nadda. If I even catch a whiff of they can't wait for the call to end, I'll end it and put 'em out of their misery.

I also don't care about percentages. All I care about is low long I was on the phone and how clients I attained.

Being on the phone for a few hours a day, if you can land a client is a "first world problem."

Can you clarify the last sentence, I dont understand.
why is landing a client a "first world problem"
what is a first world problem?

Can you clarify the last sentence, I dont understand.
why is landing a client a "first world problem"
what is a first world problem?

"First world problem" is a saying as a relates to people who are lazy and spoiled. The reference is there are people around the world would would kill for our opportunity while we whine about "work" and stupid stuff.

So how about a list of the 5 best cold call openings? Anyone have something short, to the point, and effective? Some of the ones on this thread seem a little too windy.

I've always used, "Hi, Bob! This is John from XYZ Insurance here in town. I'm calling to visit with you about your home and auto insurance to see if I can help you save a little money. Do you have a few minutes?"

I'm not sure if it is good or bad, I'm a one man shop so I don't have anyone to compare my results to.

Where have I been, I have never heard this first world problems...

I must live in a third world country.

Most people don't know how good they have it. Even our homeless have it good. No one is running a soup kitchen in Syria just waiting for you to come on in.

In the US, even just 150 years ago, life for many was a daily struggle just to put food on the table. Now, depending on how well you want to eat, an hour or less of labor a day can feed your family.

This has a lot of useful information, I ask people how they're doing a lot and never really thought about it.

Someone told me that it's some kind of sales trick to get a client to say yes to you right off the bat.
When they answer the phone, ask:
"Can you hear me Mrs. Betty?"
They say "yes" of course
Then they're supposed to be more receptive since they opened with "yes".
I don't know how true that is but it sounds possible. I tried it but I don't see my seniors getting fooled with that kind of sorcery. Does anyone use that as a technique?

My worst:

"Can I speak to your home health nurse?"

"Is this Mr. Bobby?"
"No."
"Oh i'm sorry, is this his son?"
"No, it's his WIFE!"

Most people don't know how good they have it. Even our homeless have it good. No one is running a soup kitchen in Syria just waiting for you to come on in.

In the US, even just 150 years ago, life for many was a daily struggle just to put food on the table. Now, depending on how well you want to eat, an hour or less of labor a day can feed your family.

I know growing up, you better eat all your dinner, there are staving children in Biafra....is that a country anymore, and how is the amount of food left on a plate going to affect anyone else..

Back