5 Worst Call Call Openers

Whenever somebody opens a call with "How are you today?," I give them an honest answer and tell them what an awful day I'm having, issues at home etc. rather than the usual BS reply of "I'm great, how are are you?" It's a sign of how bad most callers are that they can't deal with the unexpected...It's also a sign of how bad this is as an oppening strategy - any question asked should give factual information that is useful or at least a response that they caller is looking for.
The funniest thing happened to me when I tried to blow off a telemarketer once. I speak a few other languages along with English but a lot of people do as well. So when this telemarketer called me once I answered the phone how I always do (stating just my name) he went into his telemarketing script. Instead of talking to him I used what very very little German I know to stump him and get him to move on. (I used german cause a lot of people speak Spanish as a 2nd language). Well much to my surprise when he heard me start using german he said hold on one second and handed the phone to someone who must have been standing right there. The guy he handed the phone to was fluent in German and I was lost after his 5th word.....I didn't know what to say so I just hung up, how often do you run across a telemarketer who speaks German!!!! :twitchy:
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Awesome post Jag! Dont forget there are states that dont allow excess charges, my state being one of them.

you are lucky then, sell either the N or G plan......I separate myself from agents who push the F-plan (cause it is easy to explain) by showing the rational behind getting into a plan that a prospect HAS to answer health questions to get it or be turning 65. Insurance is just a group of people in the same area who all pay a premium and out of that premium the company pays claims and makes their profit........the more claims the more unstable the plans premium is. And I will give you a great line I use every appt.

"I am not only trying to help you find a health plan with great coverage and price right now, but looking for something that you will still be able to afford 5, 10, 20 years down the road."

it gives them the reassurance that I will still be around 20 years from now taking care of them as well.....subtle hints to the prospect that "I will be looking after them" wins clients over the flavor of the year company agents.

Last edited:
JAG82 said:
The funniest thing happened to me when I tried to blow off a telemarketer once. I speak a few other languages along with English but a lot of people do as well. So when this telemarketer called me once I answered the phone how I always do (stating just my name) he went into his telemarketing script. Instead of talking to him I used what very very little German I know to stump him and get him to move on. (I used german cause a lot of people speak Spanish as a 2nd language). Well much to my surprise when he heard me start using german he said hold on one second and handed the phone to someone who must have been standing right there. The guy he handed the phone to was fluent in German and I was lost after his 5th word.....I didn't know what to say so I just hung up, how often do you run across a telemarketer who speaks German!!!! :twitchy:
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

you are lucky then, sell either the N or G plan......I separate myself from agents who push the F-plan (cause it is easy to explain) by showing the rational behind getting into a plan that a prospect HAS to answer health questions to get it or be turning 65. Insurance is just a group of people in the same area who all pay a premium and out of that premium the company pays claims and makes their profit........the more claims the more unstable the plans premium is. And I will give you a great line I use every appt.

"I am not only trying to help you find a health plan with great coverage and price right now, but looking for something that you will still be able to afford 5, 10, 20 years down the road."

it gives them the reassurance that I will still be around 20 years from now taking care of them as well.....subtle hints to the prospect that "I will be looking after them" wins clients over the flavor of the year company agents.

Your use of German to stump telemarketers has become well known. So well known that they have decided to gang up on you. Please expect future calls with a German speaking representative in the future in the hopes of making you feel silly :)

Then I compare the G to the N and point out the excess charges difference. One question usually eliminates the N plan (unless their budget is too tight), "Could you live with possible getting a bill of up to 15% of any surgery or treatment you may have in the future?"...I feel winded after this post!!!

And how do your clients feel if they run across an agent who educates them on how you misrepresented the Part B excess on Plan N?

Sent from my iPad using InsForums

Back