80 Minute Interrogation

somarco

GA Medicare Expert
5000 Post Club
Atlanta
I have had several clients comment on the "new" phone interview technique, especially with Aetna.

Latest one was 80 minutes and this guy really doesn't have that much of a medical history.

Anyone else getting feedback on the inquisition?

I recently commented on another thread where I had to end the call with my wife after over 20 minutes of giving literally the same answers involved a recovered back condition.

These "health screeners" have almost zero training, are not underwriters (not even close) and often get very short with people.

Some seem to get off on their newfound "power" over people and it turns into the inquisition instead of a health history interview.

The best you can do, since all calls are taped, if file a complaint with the carrier. When my client complains I'm off the phone with the carrier immediately.

RSA uses nurses, at least for some of their interviews. You would think RSA is getting paid by the hour.

Had one lady a few weeks back who spent almost an hour on the phone. Was told by the interviewer a particular medical condition is no big deal (same thing her doc told her). This never came out when I did my pre-screen since her doc, and she, thought bronchiectasis was "nothing".

She was declined due to a diagnosis of bronchiectasis.

She uses a bronchial dilator from time to time during allergy season. The doc never told her she had bronchiesctasis, but rather a mild form of allergic bronchitis.

Doctors and nurses are idiots when it comes to assessing risk. I can't tell you how many times I have had folks tell me they have a medical condition that their doc says is nothing.

Well, it is nothing until they try to get insurance. Even had one person tell me the doc said "never tell an insurance company you have asthma. You will never be able to get health insurance."

A few others have called looking for insurance to cover CT scans or surgery. Doc said I need this test, surgery, etc and told me to get insurance to cover it.

No problem . . .

Doctors and nurses are idiots when it comes to assessing risk.

I have a problem-child right now who was indignant when the insurance company would not accept his doctor's note that "wholeheartedly recommended him for health insurance".

After I let him blow off a little steam and calm down, I asked him to ask his doc if he was also ready to accept financial responsibility for any unanticipated claim activity...

Couldn't resist.

Got one right now that will be submitted.

Gilbert's syndrome caused by a benign non-parasitic hepatic cyst on the liver. H1 would rider. Cigna, GR and KP all declined.

Aetna indicated possible standard rate.

What's up with that?

She is preparing the app now for submission on Monday. Called earlier today and sprung this one on me. Last year she was trying to get pregnant and took Clomid . . . a fertility drug.

My guess is that will be a deal breaker but I am not going to tell her until we get the app in. Nice lady but becoming a pain in the butt. I have a pre-screen in to Aetna with the Clomid info and will see what they say.

I had two Aetna cases last week that had RSA do the phone interview. Both clients said they were short and helpful.

One young man age 41 was told to go to the "minute clinic" at the drug store and have a finger-prick HCL test... much cheaper and faster than a full blood panel from a lab. Aetna said they would accept that result for UW.

So far I have nothing but good things to saw about Aetna's use of RSA.

YMMV.

Al

I emailed my rep (who normally never responds to anything) about the 80 minute interview. She asked for more detail and copied her manager.

I gave her what she needed and mentioned others that have been excessively long in the last few weeks.

We will see what happens.

True, but I usually get no response at all from Aetna. Don't have that issue with other carriers.

Sad thing is, I have placed more with Aetna in the last 12 months than other carriers yet I still get better service from those where I may have only written a dozen cases vs Aetna.

Back