80 Minute Interrogation

Since they have expanded their provider network here in SC Aetna is a great carrier. However I do get anoyed at the lag in my producer world reports. I seem to be constantly calling a client to say they have been approved or that Aetna needs a phone interview only to hear from the client that they knew that 2 days ago etc. No big complaints about lenghtly phone interviews.

Interesting
I am getting ready to get contracted with Aetna.
They just launched in my state 6-1-09.

I went to the broker meeting they put on and their sales reps did not even know the products yet. I am a bit concerned.

But what caught my attention is they are not rating up for tobacco use. :cool:

I will bring up the 80 minute interrogation with the sales rep.

</IMG>

Seems they started out that way in all states (no tobacco rate). Then they went to +25% if the BMI was over 27. Now they are using a debit system and tobacco use is a factor but can still result in a standard rate . . . or a rate up.

Even my rep agrees the 80 minute PI is excessive. A few others have mentioned a lengthy PI but this is the first to put a time to it.

I have two issues with Aetna.

One is the lack of information available to brokers on app status. You might as well be asking for God's unlisted number. You won't get anywhere.

There are no appeals on underwriting as such. Instead you submit a new app.

Commission account is the worst. Use the search function and you will see quite a few threads on Aetna commissions.

It is time for me to do my quarterly audit. Will be interesting to see what they have failed to pay me on in the last 90 days or so.

One of my commission conversations in '06 was priceless. Saw a "$0" next to one of my better clients - around $56/mo commish. Called my client, everything was fine.

Called Aetna, said he lapsed - didn't receive his payment. I said it's automatic draft. They checked and then said their notification that his payment had posted didn't come until after the cut-off.

No problem, so an extra $56 in my next check. Nope, said their system isn't set up to do that, nor is it set up to tack the $56 on at the end.

After a lot of griping I dropped it. Quite a few months later I check my online banking and there's a random deposit from Aetna for the $56.

Another priceless moment in Aetna commission history was when I got zero for the month, instead of around $800 that was due. They paid it to the wrong broker and stated they'd needed to get the money back from that broker before they paid me. That was around a 4 month wait.

But the MOST priceless moment in Aetna history was after they had launched in MD for around two months, I had already submitted around 10 apps and called Producer World where the rep proceeded to argue with me that Aetna was NOT writing individual business in MD and I had misinformation.

That is good info
Thank you

Right now I have enough Individual carriers but when I heard they are not rating for smoking rates and excepting some diabetics that got my attention.

I sat through a webinar today with them and was not that impressed.

Their sales support team looks very weak to me.

That's in incoherent question - again in English please.

Well, from his flag, we may infer that he's a product of the Florida public school system. Whaddya expect?

My 21 year old (honors student in a private college) has NO IDEA how to figure a percentage if he doesn't have a calculator - and he was in the "gifted" program from the first grade on. Scary.

Thank god his major isn't math.

I have a problem-child right now who was indignant when the insurance company would not accept his doctor's note that "wholeheartedly recommended him for health insurance".

After I let him blow off a little steam and calm down, I asked him to ask his doc if he was also ready to accept financial responsibility for any unanticipated claim activity...

Couldn't resist.

Gotta love the doctor's notes... :swoon:

Back