A Tiny Natural Market

After looking at all of my leads in my natural market, I have begun to realize that my natural market is pretty small for life/health ins. I don't even have enough to fill up a project 200.:swoon::err::no:

Here is my issue: I am still working at my hopefullysoon-to-be- former employer. I am working at a technical school, where I have been given a list of names/addresses/phone#s overtime. Some of these students have either dropped out or have graduated. Some are still attending at the present moment. Would it be considered too much of a conflict of interest to add them to my lost of prospects. There would be a great need with these students, but I know so many have no money-too many depend on public transportation to where they must even leave class early to take the latest bus possible to avoid being stranded.:nah: I teach evenings. Finding a viable lead would be a miracle at best. I would hope that one day they might become a viable prospect.

As far as numbers are concerned that would be it. I am limited with the contacts for friends/relatives. It also seems not too many are interested anyway-getting the royal runaround of "maybe next month, already overbooked on my errand schedule," "let me talk to the hubby/wifey-calls avoided thereafter". :1mad:

I hope I am not doomed. I am working this night job, trying to study for my series 6 exam, am trying to figure out how to get my name out there so I can call it quits with the night job.

I apparently cannot get further training until I pass the series 6. I am feeling overwhelmed and do not want to give this up, I genuinely enjoy the prospect of educating and helping clients be prepared for that "one day" happen to us all.this is my motivation for working in this field.

Jen

Pass that Series 6! That is priority. Everything else will fall into place at some point. You can fail at anything as long as you can find an excuse to do so. You have to work to make a living. Keep that going. Treat this new career as a way to make a life - it will come together as time goes by. You will find a place to work, get appointments, and hopefully get some good experience and sales behind you before devoting all of your time to it. If and when you find your place in this field, you will KNOW IT and YOU WILL BE READY. But NOT UNTIL YOU PASS THE TEST!
Good luck!

After looking at all of my leads in my natural market, I have begun to realize that my natural market is pretty small for life/health ins. I don't even have enough to fill up a project 200.:swoon::err::no:

Here is my issue: I am still working at my hopefullysoon-to-be- former employer. I am working at a technical school, where I have been given a list of names/addresses/phone#s overtime. Some of these students have either dropped out or have graduated. Some are still attending at the present moment. Would it be considered too much of a conflict of interest to add them to my lost of prospects. There would be a great need with these students, but I know so many have no money-too many depend on public transportation to where they must even leave class early to take the latest bus possible to avoid being stranded.:nah: I teach evenings. Finding a viable lead would be a miracle at best. I would hope that one day they might become a viable prospect.

As far as numbers are concerned that would be it. I am limited with the contacts for friends/relatives. It also seems not too many are interested anyway-getting the royal runaround of "maybe next month, already overbooked on my errand schedule," "let me talk to the hubby/wifey-calls avoided thereafter". :1mad:

I hope I am not doomed. I am working this night job, trying to study for my series 6 exam, am trying to figure out how to get my name out there so I can call it quits with the night job.

I apparently cannot get further training until I pass the series 6. I am feeling overwhelmed and do not want to give this up, I genuinely enjoy the prospect of educating and helping clients be prepared for that "one day" happen to us all.this is my motivation for working in this field.

Jen

Who are you trying to go tgo work for? Do you really need to be in the market where a series 6 is required if you do not have much of a starting point? The students you described certainly aren't prospects for a variable annuity or mutual funds. They are much more likely propects for a small life insurance policy. I do not want to rain on your parade but maybe you need to rethink how you are going to enter this business. Maybe your instinct is throwing up warnings to you. You can possible succeed in the market you are headed to but you are going to have to find an effective way to prospect.

I am w/Nyl and they want me to get the series 6. I dont think I would even want to touch many of these students with a 100 ft pole as far as prospects are concerned. It's bad enough that they have too much drama going on at home to bother showing up sometimes. There are very few who would be a viable small policy candidate.

I am thinking that once I am off the ground I will most likely be at job fairs, school districts, and health fairs for starters.

Hey hokepoke,

I'm just getting back into the business after a 7 year break. When I started in the business my market wasn't very good either so I understand.

It's a marketing issue. As a new marketer, some of the best target groups are your local Chamber meetings and networking groups. If you make a goal of telling at least 5 people a day what you do, eventually someone will need what you sell.

Tip: Have a quick 2 sentence elevator speech about your company, show genuine interest in people, ask them what they do, then set follow up coffee meetings one-on-one. Market yourself every day and you will succeed. :)

Back