Aetna Med Supp

Just three interactions? Please tell me your secret. It has taken me more than three licks to get to the center of their tootsie roll pop.

As screwed up at Aetna/Coventry has things in my market, I'm staying clear of any/all of their business as much as I can until things settle out.

Medicare side: Miss report pharmacy networks, causes SEP eligible beneficiaries for over 50k people. Moving clients via 800.medicare takes money out of my pocket but it is the right thing to do for the client.

ACA side: They are so screwed it is pathetic. If they screw it up, they take pride in keeping it that way and requiring at a minimum three interactions to even get it going in the right direction to correct.

I was just having the the same conversation with some agents in Ohio and for as big of a train wreck as their ACA and MA sides of the house are, the Medsup side is at the complete opposite end of the spectrum. The crew in Brentwood really have things figured out and are super easy to work with. They definitely learned their lesson from the 1st AEP when Aetna bought them.

Will Brentwood administer the new Aetna Health and Life Medigap when they pull CLI off the table for new business?

It is interesting the range of experiences agents have with carriers. Mine could not be more different with AHLIC/CLI/ACI. Great rates. Love the e-app rolled out this year. Every problem--and there have been only a few--was resolved by a very helpful staff. Contracting issues in newly licensed states were worked out with their help. Their incentive trips to Budapest and Barcelona were amazing and can't wait to see what they have in store for us in Costa Rica in May. I keep looking for a reason to consider other carriers but after several hundred policies placed with them I haven't found one yet.

Last edited:
Carriers are very much "regional". I have seen that in the U65 market for years and same in Medigap.

Initially CLI was competitive here but that didn't last long. New rates in GA (+ 9.5% on A, C, F and + 6.5% on G) seem to indicate the GI business has been hurting them. Similar patterns in a few other states.

Aetna seems to have taken a page out of the MOO playbook with their "new" look. Close out old book, raise rates, start a clean slate with a brand new carrier.

I have seen this movie before.

Medico is another one that is competitive in some states, not so much in others.

Aetna did the crap in CA about 10+ years ago. They came here with low premiums and high commission.

Then they increased the premiums and went from one of the lowest cost plans to one of the highest. Cut commission also.

A few years later they dropped the prices. Now they're here as Continental.

This is a company that is not to be trusted.

Rick

Back