Aetna "Warm Welcome" Call

dgoldenz

Virginia
Apparently, Aetna will now call your rated-up clients after they are approved to give them the final rates and offer them an alternative plan that meets their original budget. How generous...:skeptical:

I was just going to post this, when I saw your post. Following is the text of the e-mail I just received from Aetna about their new plans. Isn't this the agent's job to help the client choose an alternative plan that may be best for their financial & medical situation?

[FONT=&quot]Approved applicants now receive welcome phone call [/FONT][FONT=&quot]
[FONT=&quot]Aetna Advantage Plans for Individuals, Families and the Self-Employed[/FONT][/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]We're offering a great new service to newly approved applicants of Aetna Advantage Plans! We now call all applicants who have recently been approved or approved with a rate-up to offer them a warm Aetna welcome and inform them of their final rate.

Through these "welcome calls" we will advise the primary applicant that the underwriting process of their application has been completed, encourage enrollment in EFT and on Aetna Navigator and thank them for choosing Aetna.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Depending on the underwriting decision for their application, we will explain the following:[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]If the applicant is approved[/FONT][FONT=&quot], we will thank them for choosing Aetna, confirm their plan, rate and effective date and introduce them to Aetna's self-service tools available for members.[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]If the applicant is approved with a rate-up,[/FONT][FONT=&quot] we will inform them of their final rate and offer the option to accept the rate or select an alternate plan option that helps meet their financial needs.[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]If any applicants have questions about their underwriting decision,[/FONT][FONT=&quot] the primary applicant may contact our underwriting support department at 1-866-898-3268 prompt 2.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Please note, due to confidentiality laws only the primary applicant may call underwriting support regarding their application.

[FONT=&quot]Reminder: Next steps for new member's[/FONT]New members will receive their ID cards via mail within 2-3 weeks of the acceptance of the policy. They may also download and print a temporary ID card on Aetna Navigator.

For any questions regarding membership or billing and enrollment, members may call Member Services at 1-866-772-3862 Monday -Friday 8:00am - 5:00pm local time.

[/FONT]

Isn't this the agent's job to help the client choose an alternative plan that may be best for their financial & medical situation?

Yes, that would be the most logical way to handle that. However, if the agent does it then Aetna will have to pay the agent a commission. If Aetna handles it they they eliminate the agent and his commission.

What do you think they would prefer to do? This can be a very "dirty" business. Cover your "6" at all times.

How much do you want to bet they will make a pitch to deal direct with Aetna and cut out the broker . . .?

I believe that they ARE gearing up for by-passing the agent (and becoming the agent for our clients).

Their "carrot" to us:
- Yep! We're paying you less; but we're doing ALL this work FOR you! What a deal, Lucille???

It's OK with me!
In the rare situations that I'll use them (any more), I'll let them do ALL the work they want FOR me.

This is a little scary to me. You know, Humana often recommends that the client switch to a plan without Rx coverage. They do so when the client calls them direct, and they don't notify the agent. Thankfully, agents have been able to have Humana reverse the decision, but that's not the point. The point is that some "navigator" at the home office is advising my client without doing a needs analysis like I have. The e-mail from Aetna said they would advise the client of alternative plans that are in the client's FINANCIAL interest. Hmmm... like limited benefit plans for instance?

Second thing, is that the Agent isn't notified first. I'm sure the "welcome call" will come first, before we have a chance to address the issues ourselves. They should give us 2-3 days of lead time at least.

Apparently, Aetna will now call your rated-up clients after they are approved to give them the final rates and offer them an alternative plan that meets their original budget. How generous...:skeptical:

Aetna reduces our commission to 4%, panics because far fewer applications are coming in, and starts calling newly approved customers to re-sell them on Aetna? It will be interesting to hear what Aetna says them. Hopefully a few of you are still writing with Aetna, so we can hear the "Welcome to Aetna! By the way...." stories.
-AC

Back