Aftermath of Maui Wildfire

Hawaii Agent

Expert
I have so many questions swirling in my head about what's to come with this. I live on a different island and only have a small book on Maui; however, I've already filed over 20 claims. We're also looking at filing loss of use claims for units not affected but had their previous reservations cancelled (one carrier has already declined to cover this type of loss). I have a $3.5mill Cov A structure that is now just ash, I can't imagine what the total payout with personal property & loss of use will be. I don't even have time to download the dec to review the coverage, I'm just going to assume every line will be paid out.

I have a property manager that specializes in short-term rentals on the west side of Maui. Her house/office burnt down. Her E&O is up for renewal. I now need to ask her for her estimated sales for the next 12 months. I feel like an ass...

I have a destination management company that helps to host VIP retreats on Maui. When will mass tourism return to Maui? My masonry contractor had a contract in hand to reinforce a boat dock in Lahaina, that structure is gone. I have a custom window fabricator has windows that are made but now the homes that ordered them are gone. My clients are hurting and there's nothing I can do for them.

The claims on Oahu aren't stopping either. Condos were built horribly and we're paying the price. AOAO deductibles are going as high as $250k (one on a building built in 2017).

We've always had issues with limited carriers because Hawaii is too small of a market. With losses estimated over $3bill, what's going to happen over the next 2-3 years? My friends joke about getting a pay raise, I'm expecting CA & FL levels of turmoil.

Sorry for the long, almost unreadable message

TLDR: Hawaii's insurance market is FUX^D

I was thinking about similar questions this week, but I was not directly impacted. I can only imagine having clients over there. We're definitely thinking about you and all of the islanders over here on the mainland.

From an insurance perspective, I'm inclined to agree with you. Things are sure to get challenging in the coming years for the Hawaii insurance market.

Truth bomb . . .

"We believe the complaint is factually and legally irresponsible. It is inconsistent with the path that we believe we should pursue as a resilient community committed and accountable to each other as well as to Hawaiʻi's future. We continue to stand ready to work to that end with our communities and others. Unfortunately, the county's lawsuit may leave us no choice in the legal system but to show its responsibility for what happened that day."

https://www.zerohedge.com/markets/h...ower-lines-de-energized-amidst-afternoon-fire

Truth bomb . . .

"We believe the complaint is factually and legally irresponsible. It is inconsistent with the path that we believe we should pursue as a resilient community committed and accountable to each other as well as to Hawaiʻi's future. We continue to stand ready to work to that end with our communities and others. Unfortunately, the county's lawsuit may leave us no choice in the legal system but to show its responsibility for what happened that day."

https://www.zerohedge.com/markets/h...ower-lines-de-energized-amidst-afternoon-fire
All planned.

Back