Age 65, Dirt Poor & Not Eligible for Medicaid

Status
Not open for further replies.
This person has no interest in taking SSI since they are set up enough w/basics so doesn't want or need the $. It's my neighbor who says no one can answer this simple question. Instead everyone just want to know his personal circumstances and avoid answering the question. He only wants to continue his life on, as he has, taking medicaid only beyond age 65. Medicare of course is not as good of insurance nor does he want to take it anyhow. Please let's avoid discussions about medicare of we can, I just want to have this question answered though he told me that it won't happen.

He's never married. Lives off the land and does alot of volunteering.

Can this person stay on Medicaid now that he's 65 or is he forced to take more of the taxpayers money by accepting SSI in order to get it?

I cannot even find the laws on findlaw regarding medi-ca;/medicaid eligibility

That is what he is being told at the Medi-cal office (California's version of Medicaid). I think it is awful to force us to foot the bill, extra $ he doesn't need or want forced upon him in order to get medical care.

Thanks for everyone's time, I appreciate it. Merry Christmas by the way! :)
Oh he says he doesn't qualify for Medicare. No documented work history, no prior marriages and no money to buy it

I know from first hand experience that in Fl. and IMHO probably in every state that he could and would by default would stay on medicaid past 65 if he doesn't qualify for free part A and subsidized part B. however he could apply for a medicare savings program and have the state pay his part a and b premium.He would then have medicare as primary and QMB medicaid would also pay the 20% and the deductibles.He should qualify for QMB if his income is so low he qualifies straight state medicaid

maybe the medicine man on the reservation doesn't take medicare but medicare is definitely better than medicaid for most people when it comes to access to care and ALL US citizens are eligible for medicare when they T65.Whether the part A and part B is subsidized is a different issue

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back