Another Annuity Trial.

I live in Riverside, CA... and election day is tomorrow. That scumbag (meaning the D.A.) had better not get re-elected!

Last edited:
Everybody seems to dance around the fact that the whole thing is stupid. He is an agent selling annuities. The products were approved by the state and the apps approved by the carriers.

If he was charged with forgery, or falsifying credentials to mislead the applicant, or something that is actually illegal, it would make more sense.

----------

If this agent had an office, and held his meetings in that office, then at least the burglary charge couldn't stick (according to their accusations).

Good point. I never meet clients in their homes for annuity sales.

Good point. I never meet clients in their homes for annuity sales.

False arrest and kidnapping. You held them hostage in your office until they bought...

If someone is really on a withhunt to win an election, do you think they are going to let little things like that stand in their way?

I live in Riverside, CA... and election day is tomorrow. That scumbag had better not get re-elected!

I think you're referring to this guy:

"Riverside County District Attorney Paul Zellerbach’s office sponsored in April to educate the community. Zellerbach is in a bitter fight for re-election this year and is campaigning under the slogan, “One Tough District Attorney!”

Zellerbach has been accused of knocking down his opponent’s signs, prompting the state attorney general to review whether to file criminal charges at the request of the Indio Police Department, according to local media. Police organizations have pulled their endorsements of Zellerbach’s candidacy and several of those organizations have called for Zellerbach’s resignation.

Zellerbach’s election prospects would benefit from what he would consider a victory against elder abuse."

False arrest and kidnapping. You held them hostage in your office until they bought...

If someone is really on a withhunt to win an election, do you think they are going to let little things like that stand in their way?

I thought sure you were going to say something about the "twisting" that may have occurred, and my response to that would be aren't the carriers complicit? bunch of punk ass, bitch ass, creepy ass crackers leave the agent twisting in the wind.

I thought sure you were going to say something about the "twisting" that may have occurred, and my response to that would be aren't the carriers complicit? bunch of punk ass, bitch ass, creepy ass crackers leave the agent twisting in the wind.

Based on what we know and his statement, it does appear there was some twisting and churning. After all, he had them surrender Allianz for North American while inside the surrender charge period. It appears his defense is that he didn't do his due diligence on the Allianz product, weak defense for an insurance agent.

Just because compliance approved it does not mean he did not commit twisting or churning. Whoever approved the transactions should face punishment as well. But this seems more a case for the DOI than the State's Attorney.

Again, we don't have all the facts. It does seem a fine and temporary or permanent ban from the industry would be a suitable punishment for both him and the compliance officers who signed off. He may not have had a securities license, but someone at North American had to approve the replacement paperwork.

Not just the carriers but the state all benefited from the transaction if premium taxes were paid. Love the fact the DA is breaking laws to get reelected what are the chances as a politician they will actually go after him?

It is sad what is taking place in CA and what has taken place over the years I've been gone from the State. I'd be afraid to be in any business in CA because there are a lot of land mines to step on in CA.

" It's because I live in California, where all this crap can happen!"

Holy ****. The difference here is there's a DA with an aggressive campaign for re-election, and there was a lot of switching annuities... using the bonus of the new one to "offset" the surrender charge of the old one.

These are REAL stretches of the interpretation of the law.

Yes, there were over $300,000 in surrender charges. How much were the bonuses? Were they credited?

I think the CA DOI should step in and say "Hey! Dumb ass! You're not the regulator on these things... we are!"

And KRobby was questioning why I wanted to be so cautious about selling a B++ rated annuity. It's because I live in California, where all this crap can happen!

----------

Per the CA DOI, Alan S. Louis voluntarily surrendered his life license on 04/22/2010.

One would think there would be a statute of limitations in place. For securities, it's either 2 or 3 years (can't remember those details right now). Oh, just re-read that he filed for the warrant for arrest 2-3 days prior to statute of limitations expiring.

Most people don't understand annuities. Those that understand them forget the details and why they bought them. It is all about your relationship with your client.

I rolled my house load a couple of times when rates were declining. I incurred charges. According to my calculations, each replacement was in my best interest. With hind sight, I would not have done the 1st replacement. It doesn't matter. I did it AND at the time it was in my best interest.

I've known people who have received long prison sentences for things that I know they didn't do. My take is: The police and DA will lie, cheat & steal to get a conviction. There is no "fair" trial. Your best option is to realize that guilt or innocence doesn't have any bearing on the outcome. Go find the meanest, dirtiest, most competent attorney that you can.

We have one of the highest incarceration rates in the world - 4 - 6 times more people in jail than China. Our legal system does a GREAT job - of sending people to jail. Perhaps we are more criminally intentioned that other countries. Perhaps it is because we've turned a prisoner into a revenue source.

I can only speculate - and try to stay out of jail.

Back