Anthem BC of CA- Regulatory Approval

This from the same carrier who filed for the 39% rate increase "mistake?"

Very few subs got 39%. That rate increase by Anthem last spring was all over the board from 4% to 39%. Varied by plan and area. Of course, Obama and the media only heard 39%. Obama beat the drum on this 39%. IMO, this is the reason the new health care legislation got passed

Don't know about that when they admitted the mistake:

Anthem Blue Cross cites miscalculations, backs down on 39 percent rate hikes | CAIVN

"After months of public scorn and outrage from state and federal lawmakers over its planned increase in heath insurance premiums beginning May 1, 2010, Anthem Blue Cross has withdrawn its plan for its massive health insurance rate increases. It is claiming that it made “inadvertent miscalculations” when it calculated medical costs, which led to its proposed increase."

The easy solution to all this crap is fewer government regulations. This encourages competition and will see more companies in California offering product. Those who increase prices will write fewer policies. The marketplace will set prices, not someone whose goal seems to be to make a name for himself. (He lost to Whitman. Whitman!)

Maybe if Californians elect a new insurance commissioner that actually has been in the industry, sanity can prevail.

Rick

I just came out of the black out on Tuesday here in Indiana.

The corporate headquarters are here and I hear whispers that down the road they could pull out of the individual market all together. I know you guys will say "Oh that will never happen"

I just found out a few minutes ago that Anthem CA has laid off all IFP/Senior RSMs in northern CA above Santa Clara county! Yikes!!!! Supposedly related to not having 75% of their plans approved yet.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

The corporate headquarters are here and I hear whispers that down the road they could pull out of the individual market all together. I know you guys will say "Oh that will never happen"
Back last fall when CA Anthem was looking at getting out of HIPAA, they talked to the reg agencies about the possibility of getting out of IFP completely in CA.

Last edited:

That must be an Indiania thing, ABC. Here in PA things come out of the blue!;)

I'm about to send out a press release on this issue as a candidate for insurance commissioner.

Holding the citizens of the state "hostage" because the commissioner apparently has a hard-on for Anthem is absurd.

Rick

I'm about to send out a press release on this issue as a candidate for insurance commissioner.

Holding the citizens of the state "hostage" because the commissioner apparently has a hard-on for Anthem is absurd.

Rick
When can we see it, Rick?

Last edited:
I agree, getting rid of the RSM's isn't because of a slow approval of new plans. That makes no sense, especially given what the true role of the RSM's is, which is to help agents understand existing and upcoming plans to help them sell them effectively.

Unless they are planning on a 6+ month delay for approval, getting rid of the RSM's just doesn't make any sort of sense to me for this reason.

Getting rid of them because they felt they had to many and wanted to trim costs, I would believe. Getting rid of them because they think the core IFP market is going to fade away (in a profitable sense) is a key reason that I see this happening.

Dan

Back