Anthem BC of CA- Regulatory Approval

Here's what Jon Healey, editorial writer with the LA Times resonded when I asked him to see what Poizner's office had to say. I really do appreciate his efforts on this and he's obviously a classy guy.

It's just as obvious that his understanding of why Anthem can't write business was incorrect.

Rick

Hey, Poizner's office told me that Anthem came in with a new set of rates in August that were designed to comply with the requirements of the new healthcare law (which took effect Sept. 23). Those rates are still being reviewed by an outside actuary, which explains the lack of new offerings.

As stated above in my post, this is typical of the LA Times writers. Another one called me last month about 'new MRMIP weighted rates for HIPAA PPOs that were lowered'. Oh really? Wow! Turns out he was using the PCIP rates and assuming they somehow were part of the MRMIP sets for HIPAA. I e-mailed him the unchanged 2010 MRMIP Weighted HIPAA PPO rates (won't change again until 1/1/11) and he told me "I guess I need to do some more research" . Ya Think!!!???? He didn't even know what the PCIP was!

I got the correct answer to AB 2244 from my RSM within 15 seconds of calling him. 1/1/11 not sooner.

The bill itself is very interesting. The "initial open enrollment period" will be 1/1/11 for 60 days only. After that, only kids who have a special election event can enroll outside of the open enrollment period. It also mentions specifically about kids who get coverage plans 9/23 and after being "ok" for credit to the new provisions. I guess they figured they'd better not make kids re-enroll again 1/1/11 if they just bought a plan on 12/1/10. Good idea.

I believe the exchanges will operate in a similar manner. "Open Enrollment" periods just like groups but at the same time annually for 30 or 60 days to change plans/carriers then locked for the rest of the year until open enrollment comes around again.

Interesting times!

PS - Aetna did the exact same thing as Anthem in terms of rate changes and 9/23 compliance. Their plans were approved before 9/23. Why is Anthem being treated differently than Aetna? I can't imagine why (Meg Whitman)!

Last edited:
I just found out a few minutes ago that Anthem CA has laid off all IFP/Senior RSMs in northern CA ....

It now seems I now have a RSM with Anthem?? Just got an email from my new RSM. He is having a meeting Tuesday, Oct 12th in my town to go over,
"Agents asked, and Anthem listened we have a benefit package that is competitively priced and easy to understand.
Anthem’s NEW Health Care Reform compliant plans are the same plans you’re used to selling bundled with Health Care Provisions".

Seems to me he is going to talk about the new products and pricing???

It now seems I now have a RSM with Anthem?? Just got an email from my new RSM. He is having a meeting Tuesday, Oct 12th in my town to go over,
"Agents asked, and Anthem listened we have a benefit package that is competitively priced and easy to understand.
Anthem’s NEW Health Care Reform compliant plans are the same plans you’re used to selling bundled with Health Care Provisions".

Seems to me he is going to talk about the new products and pricing???

I went to a meeting like that 2 Tuesdays ago. They showed us the new plans, but every slide in the PowerPoint production said "Pending DOI approval"

I went to a meeting like that 2 Tuesdays ago. They showed us the new plans, but every slide in the PowerPoint production said "Pending DOI approval"
Question since you've seen it. What is the new lowest deductible option on SmartSense? I heard they were considering removal of the lower deductibles (anything below 2500) on the new PPACA plans.

Heard something today about a 10/28 date for new business with Anthem of CA. Still waiting on official notification

In discussing commission "changes" this morning with my RSM, he indicated that there is no forward movement on the current DOI Anthem plans. They are considering asking agents to contact the DOI in hopes of maybe pushing the process along.

My understanding this morning is that no approvals have been granted and that the DOI is not planning on approving the current plan designs/rates.

We may not see any of the plans by Thanksgiving at this rate.

Back