Anthem Was Hacked

I don't sell health coverage.

I had a meeting with a couple in their mid 30s, both children of 'old money' and both are born of the blue-bood, country-club, so-called Republican 'elite' who claim to be socially moderate (they're ok with gay rights and sex education etc.) but are fiscally conservative.

They said that this Anthem hack is leading them to support the end of the insurance corporation system of running healthcare and just letting the government be the single payor and put everyone on Medicare like their parents are on and just raise taxes to cover it.

They said there is no difference to them paying Anthem verses paying the IRS each year. They are also fed up with what they had to go through with PPACA.

I wonder if others will feel the same way about insurance companies after tens of millions have their identity stolen because Anthem didn't want to spend the money necessary to encrypt the files?

And what don't they understand that the troubles are government created.

----------

Could you elaborate on that?

To the best of my knowledge neither social security, medicare, nor the IRS has ever been hacked.

Are you saying it is a FACT that most people feel safer with Target, Home Depot, Staples, Chase, and Anthem having their personal data as opposed to the agencies of the federal government as stated above... or is your statement above just your personal opinion, or perhaps a statement based on personal experience?

Your right instead of being hacked they allow laptops loaded with thousands of social security numbers to be stolen.

Health care records make fertile field for cyber crime - News Sentinel Story

Last year, more than 10 million people in the U.S. were affected by health care data breaches

Once someone creates a stolen identity with a Social Security number, it can be hard to fix the damage. A person can call a bank to shut down a stolen credit card, but it's not as easy of a process when it comes to Social Security numbers.

and on another note ......

The stolen Department of Veterans Affairs laptop computer and hard drive containing the personal information of more than 26 million veterans were turned in to the FBI yesterday,

http://www.defense.gov/news/newsarticle.aspx?id=22

What good are those ID Theft protection services in situations like this? "Life Lock" is advertised heavily by Limbaugh.

Lifelock and similar services don't have access to your health insurance records for obvious reasons. Medical identity theft is most often discovered by policyholders and Medicare beneficiaries that check their claim history ........ which almost no one ever does.

If someone wants your SSN they can get it. The advice in the CR article is helpful but won't always work.

Your SSN is the key to the kingdom in the hacker world. So many places they can get that info including your employer, tax preparer, medical provider, bank, etc.

Health insurance carriers and medical providers (especially hospitals) are prime targets (and usually easy ones) for hackers. Impossible to be 100% safe but companies could certainly do a better job than they do now.

FWIW, now that the IRS is even more involved in our lives thanks to Obamacare it will be almost impossible to shield your SSN from thieves.

What good are those ID Theft protection services in situations like this? "Life Lock" is advertised heavily by Limbaugh.

Lifelock doesn't stop anything, they don't even claim to. They find identity theft early, and use the same channels available to anyone to rectify it. This is why so many people aren't happy, they expect it to prevent the theft, not help pick up the pieces.

What good is it? $1m insurance policy to cover expenses related to cleaning up after identity theft (everything from document and lawyer fees, to child care and lost wages while you're in court fighting to prove you really are you.) Most of the time, you don't need any of that.

Someone asked so here is the email I received from Anthem:

To Our Members:

Safeguarding your personal, financial and medical information is one of our top priorities, and because of that, we have state-of-the-art information security systems to protect your data. However, despite our efforts, Anthem Blue Cross Blue Shield was the target of a very sophisticated external cyber attack. These attackers gained unauthorized access to Anthem’s IT system and have obtained personal information from our current and former members such as their names, birthdays, medical IDs/social security numbers, street addresses, email addresses and employment information, including income data. Based on what we know now, there is no evidence that credit card or medical information (such as claims, test results or diagnostic codes) were targeted or compromised.

Once the attack was discovered, Anthem immediately made every effort to close the security vulnerability, contacted the FBI and began fully cooperating with their investigation. Anthem has also retained Mandiant, one of the world’s leading cybersecurity firms, to evaluate our systems and identify solutions based on the evolving landscape.

Anthem’s own associates’ personal information – including my own – was accessed during this security breach. We join you in your concern and frustration, and I assure you that we are working around the clock to do everything we can to further secure your data.

Anthem will individually notify current and former members whose information has been accessed. We will provide credit monitoring and identity protection services free of charge so that those who have been affected can have peace of mind. We have created a dedicated website - AnthemFacts.com - where members can access information such as frequent questions and answers. As we learn more, we will continually update this website and share that information with you. We have also established a dedicated toll-free number that both current and former members can call if they have questions related to this incident. That number is: 1-877-263-7995.

I want to personally apologize to each of you for what has happened, as I know you expect us to protect your information. We will continue to do everything in our power to make our systems and security processes better and more secure, and hope that we can earn back your trust and confidence in Anthem.

Sincerely,

Joseph Swedish
President and CEO
Anthem, Inc.

So far I haven't received any other information. They say they will contact those members who seem to be affected and provide a link to sign up for credit monitoring. A lot of good credit monitoring will do if someone is using a SS number with your DOB and address and all. No doubt this is on the path of class action LS.

Back