Any Californians Cold Call? Results??

All right. Let me clear this up.

Its BOTH quantity and quality. You have to have quality in your calls to be able to have a fighting chance to achieve sales. But, yes, especially in life insurance, you have to make a zillion calls a day.

I don't know if the state you live in really matters as much as you might think but for the last 10 years my numbers have been roughly the same. For every 200 contacts (not calls) will find you 12-15 decent appointments, 12-15 appointments will get you 8-10 presentations and by that time then it all depends on your product, presentation, & closing skills.

I have worked in MS, LA, AL, SC, NC, GA, & TN and my numbers all seem about the same. The phone takes time to get good at. Once you get a decent script and your confidence improves you have to have less "quantity" to get the same results. If you are just gonna "give it a shot" then you are setting yourself up for failure because it sucks to hammer the phone. Either you do it or you don't. I've worked all day on the phone for 1 appointment and then got stood up for it - then Ive worked 3-4 hours and got 8 appointments and they were all solid. It takes a consistent effort and tough skin. Keep track of your numbers on some kind of weekly activity sheet to track how you are doing. (Contacts/Appointments/Presentations/Annual Premium) If you get a NO then pick it up and smile and dial!! Good luck

I don't know if the state you live in really matters as much as you might

I have hired telemarketers, direct mail shops and companies with auto dialers. They all have told me that it is very difficult to get leads in Calif. As a result, I do business out of state.....the less-populated states such as Arkansas, Mississippi and Missouri.

For mortgage protection, no one is doing it anymore in the Los Angeles area because the rate of return was so low.

Not to use this as an excuse because everyone thinks they have a bad area, but, people are more trusting in rural areas than in the big cities. And, the marketing blitzes are less. I live in a suburb of Los Angeles and get calls every day from sales people even though I'm on a Do Not Call list.

Just this morning, a sales lady called my home phone and asked: "how are you doing."

I replied, "I was doing great until you called."

She replied: "Ah, come on. I have some good news. I can help you to save money. Wouldn't that make you happy?"

I said: "What would make me happy is if you hang up." She did.

Two minutes later, I got a call from the same company on my business phone (caller id showed the number). Different sales person. Same results.

In my area (bay area of California), out of 1000 households, 23 will not be on the DNC list. Out of those 23, 20 don't answer their home phone line anymore, they only answer their cell phone. That leaves 3 out of 1000 that you might talk to if calling residential.

Maybe a slight exageration, it might be 4 out of 1000.

Cold calling residential has not been very profitable for me.

Dan

Back