Any recourse in this situation? (guy dropped ins)

rgouette

So, here's the scenario:
There's a car accident, two people, two vehicles. (Car#1 is daughters fiance)
Car#2 was clearly at fault, and admitted as much at the scene..

Car#1 was towed away to a lot(totalled)
Car#2(at fault) did not file a claim, and also dropped his vehicle from insurance.
Car#1 meanwhile, was assuming at fault guy was filing, and so his car racked up $$ stotrage fees, and now he fears he's without recourse because the Car#1 guy dropped insurance without filing a claim.

Thoughts?

Kind thanks fo rany advice..
R

Caveat, NOT an agent.
Just trying to think what I would do in this situation.

Does insurance coverage for car 1 include collision or uninsured motorist?

I would think insurance dropped AFTER an accident would have a legal obligation to cover the accident. How one makes that process start, I don't know. That is the reason for my question, to see if there is some coverage for car 1 that would allow a claim to be filed with car1's carrier and then let the insurance companies fight it out.

Ok, you'll have to see what the agents say.

My starting opinion would be that if car 2 was covered in some way at the time of the accident, then there is a claim that can be filed. I don't know you go about getting that done.

If police reports list driver's insurance companies, you could start by getting a copy of the police report for the accident.

And regardless of driver admissions at the scene, the police report may be a key factor in proving liabilities for insurance purposes.

Ok, you'll have to see what the agents say.

My starting opinion would be that if car 2 was covered in some way at the time of the accident, then there is a claim that can be filed. I don't know you go about getting that done.

If police reports list driver's insurance companies, you could start by getting a copy of the police report for the accident.

And regardless of driver admissions at the scene, the police report may be a key factor in proving liabilities for insurance purposes.

yeah, apparently police report WAS gotten, but the creep put BOGUS info on it...

sheesh, what a cruel world huh?

Thanks for the replies,
R

Car#1 meanwhile, was assuming at fault guy was filing, and so his car racked up $$ stotrage fees, and now he fears he's without recourse because the Car#1 guy dropped insurance without filing a claim.

How you file a claim against somebody else's insurance is you call up that insurance company and say "I want to file a claim against your insured." And you do it immediately after the accident. That's how it gets started. From there an adjuster is assigned who proceeds with the investigation.

Yes, if the car was on the policy at the time of the accident there is liability coverage for the driver.

Does insurance coverage for car 1 include collision or uninsured motorist?

I've said this before and I guess I'll have to keep saying it. Uninsured Motorist coverage is for injuries not property damage. Uninsured Motorist Property Damage (UMPD) is a different thing and not available in many states.

Uninsured Motorist Property Damage (UMPD): 2022 Guide (wallethub.com)

How you file a claim against somebody else's insurance is you call up that insurance company and say "I want to file a claim against your insured." And you do it immediately after the accident. That's how it gets started. From there an adjuster is assigned who proceeds with the investigation.

Yes, if the car was on the policy at the time of the accident there is liability coverage for the driver.

So what would be OP's procedure to find out the correct insurance company to call?

I'll add that the poor fellow(Car#1) racked up quite a bill for vehicle storage...(whilst he awaited the (alleged)insurance to be worked out), in the neighboorhood of $5000 I'm told.. Sad to think he'll be on the hook for that bill, for being hit by another driver...AND no reimbursement for his totalled car..
~sigh

If the driver of car 2 did not lie about having insurance, there ought to be some coverage to be had. It will just take some work to get to it.

If he lied about having insurance coverage, that's another story.

Back