Appointment Denied Due to Background- is There a Way to Appeal?

Re: Appointment Denied Due to Background- is There a Way to Appea

Punishment for a felony is not limited to paying a fine serving time etc., part of the punishment is dealing with these types of situations after wards as well.

As to the credit checks,They are proven statistics that people in financial trouble are more likely to resort to "desperate measures" (i.e.file insurance claims etc.) than someone not in financial trouble. It is only a statistic and it does not mean EVERYONE in a poor financial situation will steal, or file fraudulent claims, but it is a very good measure to go by.

Correct, but the flipping burgers still requires a background/credit check.

Why?

Maybe your background/credit check is better, so you can skip lettuce washing and go straight to fries?

Punishment for a felony is not limited to paying a fine serving time etc., part of the punishment is dealing with these types of situations after wards as well.

As to the credit checks,They are proven statistics that people in financial trouble are more likely to resort to "desperate measures" (i.e.file insurance claims etc.) than someone not in financial trouble. It is only a statistic and it does not mean EVERYONE in a poor financial situation will steal, or file fraudulent claims, but it is a very good measure to go by.

But surely the whole credit thing was originally set up to review whether or not to extend credit to you. NOT to determine whether statistically you are more likely to steal etc.

I am glad that some states are taking a stance on this and reviewing the use of credit checks for employment.

What happens to this average Joe?

"Joe loses his job because his company relocates overseas. The economy is awful and he cannot find a job with similar benefits etc. He gets behind on his mortgage payment. Eventually he is in foreclosure and loses his house. A month later he spots a job that he is more than qualified for, has all the qualifications, all the experience. He is the perfect candidate. Employer runs a credit check which ends his hopes of getting the job"

These situations (and there are plenty of them today) should never occur. His personal life should not be considered when applying for the job. People do go through rough times.

I just don't see the justification for this.:mad:

New IRS rules for this coming tax season; if you owe past due taxes you can't be a tax preparer. So, do you want someone doing your taxes that can't manage their own taxes or is it irrelevant?

But surely the whole credit thing was originally set up to review whether or not to extend credit to you. NOT to determine whether statistically you are more likely to steal etc.

I am glad that some states are taking a stance on this and reviewing the use of credit checks for employment.

What happens to this average Joe?

"Joe loses his job because his company relocates overseas. The economy is awful and he cannot find a job with similar benefits etc. He gets behind on his mortgage payment. Eventually he is in foreclosure and loses his house. A month later he spots a job that he is more than qualified for, has all the qualifications, all the experience. He is the perfect candidate. Employer runs a credit check which ends his hopes of getting the job"

These situations (and there are plenty of them today) should never occur. His personal life should not be considered when applying for the job. People do go through rough times.

I just don't see the justification for this.:mad:

When you brought up credit checks, I immediately thought about insurance, and auto insurance at that, where it is a big factor in determining rate (which it should be). As for the employer situation, I do not have a problem with it being run, however, it needs to be sat down and talked about like the situation you brought up. Once explained, I don't think the new employer would have a problem with it.

When you brought up credit checks, I immediately thought about insurance, and auto insurance at that, where it is a big factor in determining rate (which it should be). As for the employer situation, I do not have a problem with it being run, however, it needs to be sat down and talked about like the situation you brought up. Once explained, I don't think the new employer would have a problem with it.

What his problem is, and what I would agree with, is that too often these are pass/fail checks. If you fail the background check and/or credit check, you never make it to the next level. The computer scores it, and rejects your application before a human ever sees your resume.

That, I most definitely do not agree with. The current job system is rewarding those that can prepare the best resume, and have the cleanest records. Not those that are most capable to do the job.

I agree that I know a lot of very good, honest people (at least in my opinion) who have suffered severe financial setbacks over the last few years. I assume most employers understand this.

Problem is, your credit does reflect personal responsibility. If you have an isolated period of time in your life where you fell behind, but then made good on everything, then that shouldn't prevent a job. On the other hand, if you have a dozen liens on you, haven't addressed much of anything, then this does indicate a level of irresponsibility, though it could still be from extenuating circumstances.

In todays environment, credit scoring is much tougher. To many good people who planned for a 6 month downturn are in trouble.

As far as I know, no hamburger joint in my area runs a credit check for employment purposes (except maybe management). Background yes (criminal, court records, etc), but not credit. If they do where you live, it's time to look for a burger job elsewhere.

Dan

New IRS rules for this coming tax season; if you owe past due taxes you can't be a tax preparer. So, do you want someone doing your taxes that can't manage their own taxes or is it irrelevant?

Its irrelevant. It does not affect that persons ability to do the job.

Smoking kills. How many Doc's smoke?

Are you not going to use that Dr?
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
I agree that I know a lot of very good, honest people (at least in my opinion) who have suffered severe financial setbacks over the last few years. I assume most employers understand this.

Problem is, your credit does reflect personal responsibility. If you have an isolated period of time in your life where you fell behind, but then made good on everything, then that shouldn't prevent a job. On the other hand, if you have a dozen liens on you, haven't addressed much of anything, then this does indicate a level of irresponsibility, though it could still be from extenuating circumstances.

In todays environment, credit scoring is much tougher. To many good people who planned for a 6 month downturn are in trouble.

As far as I know, no hamburger joint in my area runs a credit check for employment purposes (except maybe management). Background yes (criminal, court records, etc), but not credit. If they do where you live, it's time to look for a burger job elsewhere.

Dan

I disagree completely. It does not affect your personal responsibility, nor does any employer take the objective view that you are talking about.

They run the credit: If its bad, tough. I don't care about the circumstances - go cry me a river.

Credit should only be used for credit. IMO.

Last edited:

I would keep re applying. You may catch a different person the next time who will approve you.

Back