Approach on Walking Into Small Businesses

MIM

Guru
100+ Post Club
Hey everybody. I was just curious what everyone's methodology is on approaching small businesses on setting up work-site benefits. (I'm a bit new on work-site benefits so please bear with me. I come from the individual life side.) Generally, I know that if I were to ever get the "please leave me the information and your business card and I'll call you" phrase, I traditionally don't because they're not going to call me anyway. However, I have heard that with work-site it is acceptable. Going by what I'm accustomed to, my instinct tends to fight against this and I just try to make it back again to see if I can meet with the decision maker. What do all of you normally do in that given situation ? I was just curious and would like to add on to my bucket of gold nuggets. Thanks guys!

MIM :GEEK::1cool:;):yes:

Hey everybody. I was just curious what everyone's methodology is on approaching small businesses on setting up work-site benefits. (I'm a bit new on work-site benefits so please bear with me. I come from the individual life side.) Generally, I know that if I were to ever get the "please leave me the information and your business card and I'll call you" phrase, I traditionally don't because they're not going to call me anyway. However, I have heard that with work-site it is acceptable. Going by what I'm accustomed to, my instinct tends to fight against this and I just try to make it back again to see if I can meet with the decision maker. What do all of you normally do in that given situation ? I was just curious and would like to add on to my bucket of gold nuggets. Thanks guys!

MIM :GEEK::1cool:;):yes:

When it is evident you are not going to get the interview or the close today and someone asks you to leave info what not do it? Worksite or otherwise? True, most are never going to call you. perhaps 1 out of 100 if you are lucky.. But if you don't leave the info, you are assuring yourself that 100 out of 100 are not going to call.

Also by leaving the info, you are leaving it open for a call back. "Mr. Jones, last time I was here I left you some information and I want to answer any questions you might have if you have had time to review it. But if you haven't, while I am here I would like to take a few minute to review it with you."

Last edited:
Mr. Business owner. We both know you're not going to call me back. All I'm asking for is 15 minutes of your time. If you like what I have to offer, great. If not I will move on.

Mr. Business owner. We both know you're not going to call me back. All I'm asking for is 15 minutes of your time. If you like what I have to offer, great. If not I will move on.

And, I just happen to really not have time to talk to you today and am the 1 in 100 that is going to call you back. Now you have just called me a liar.. My reply would be, "Take your junk and get out of my office" .. Why burn bridges unnecessarily.? Why not leave the door open to call back another time instead of slamming it shut for good?

And, I just happen to really not have time to talk to you today and am the 1 in 100 that is going to call you back. Now you have just called me a liar.. My reply would be, "Take your junk and get out of my office" .. Why burn bridges unnecessarily.? Why not leave the door open to call back another time instead of slamming it shut for good?

Mr. Business Owner, I'm sorry to have hit a nerve. I prefer not to partner with people who have severe tempers so I thank you for bringing this to light. I sincerely hope you have a wonderful day sir.

Mr. Business Owner, I'm sorry to have hit a nerve. I prefer not to partner with people who have severe tempers so I thank you for bringing this to light. I sincerely hope you have a wonderful day sir.

That's fine.. you think you won.. but you won't ever get another chance to make your presentation. But I always thought the primary purpose of this business was to make money not to engage in one upsmanship.

However, if when it became apparent you were not not going to get the sit down that day, you had smiled, given him your card and possibly some literature, said thank you for your time and left, you might well have been welcomed back at a later date. When I worked VPD, we often didn't get the case until after the fourth or fifth call. With your response, you don't get a second chance. But, to each his own.

Not trying to get a one up. I alway smile and am polite. But they have a business to run. Calling you back is not a priority. It's up to you to drive the train. When you tell them "we both know you're not going to call me back" they really do appreciate you being up front and honest. And seriously, if they get mad I really prefer not to work with them.

Just to play Devil's Advocate, why would you try to appease the 1 out of 100, rather than play towards the 99?

Just to play Devil's Advocate, why would you try to appease the 1 out of 100, rather than play towards the 99?

The 99 do not put money in my pocket.. the 1 does..But you miss the point, I am playing to all of the 100 because I don't know which of the 100 the 1 is. As far as appeasing, a smile cost nothing and business card very little; the company pays for the brochure...So what has it cost me to leave the door open for another call?

Some of those 99 will put money in your pocket if you call them out on knowing they're not going to call you back. A lot of times they'll say call me next week and set an appointment. Go back and look at my original post. I didn't close the door.

Back