Are these the "end Days" for Medicare Advantage?

They may not be getting worse in your area, but they are in mine. Regarding AARP's whoredom to UHC, who really needs each other more? AARP was doing fine before UHC became its master. With the growing number of aging boomers, their membership was only going yo grow more. UHC brands its AARP name so that the confused T65s can have someone to call first. Might as well stamp Coca Cola's or Dr Pepper's name for endorsement on the mailers, probably get as much positive response. UHC needs AARP more than AARP needs UHC.

Last edited:
From what I have seen a MA plan for a senior can be a challenge when dealing with setting up appointments and getting approvals. Then there's the issues of if their doctor is in or out of their plan.

I lean toward if a senior can afford it the med supps just seems so much easier. I just find it strange the Gov would have plans available for seniors that can be a challenge to navigate especially if they are at advanced ages.

Why would that seem strange

its their specialty

They may not be getting worse in your area, but they are in mine.

But that's not the way you titled the thread.

We have another poster from Texas that things Obozocrap is wonderful because it was good for HIM. MA plans may not be good for YOU but are they going away because they might suck in your area?

Rick

But that's not the way you titled the thread.

We have another poster from Texas that things Obozocrap is wonderful because it was good for HIM. MA plans may not be good for YOU but are they going away because they might suck in your area?

Rick

My direct upline tells me the United Health plans are only going to get better the next few years in my area. They finally got 4 stars and are pushing for 5. The better ratings, the more money they get from the government. If they are going away, I am going to milk them for as long as possible and build both that and my med supp book.

This is the "rewrite your book" year unfortunately. UHC in Florida is junk.
They eliminate doctors last year and now a deductible on brand drugs. Time to shift the consumer to protect their wallets.

This is the "rewrite your book" year unfortunately. UHC in Florida is junk. They eliminate doctors last year and now a deductible on brand drugs. Time to shift the consumer to protect their wallets.

How many years have you written mapd plans ? I can see you changing a lot of your UHC clients last year if they lost their doctor but a little deductible on brand name drugs shouldn't sway the remaining clients on the plan. The rest of the plan stays exactly the same and that's actually not that bad at all.
I remember a few years ago when UHC had huge increases on all their copays plus drugs.

My team and I were discussing how this aep will be relatively slow in regards to our own clients and we need to make sure we can bring in some new ones this year. I'm used to in the years past just servicing plans that have gone bad and referrals. New game plan this year it seems.

Also, there's pretty much only 3 PPO's in fl now and Fl blue is definitely the highest of the bunch. So say you have a client that's on UHC PPO and you want to switch them. Your only logical choice is Humana PPO, which we haven't seen yet but I'm sure they'll have a little increase and that's assuming if their doctor even takes Humana. I don't see many switching off of uhc

Last edited:
MA plans are not going anywhere.

Plans do not get worse each year. Yes, they may change, but in every area they do not get worse. There was talk in the past about plans going back to pre-balance budget act levels (95% of capitation) but I don't see that happening anytime soon. AARP stamped their name on plans, and I am sure they do not want a reduction in income from UHC. I do see some of the smaller plans being bought by the larger carriers.

Cutting senior benefits is political suicide. Last I looked, they are still the largest voting group in the US, and the fastest growing population.

If you look at the changes in supplements, they came out with a chart in 1997, and then did not make any changes until 2010. I do not see any changes in supplements for some time, even if the government complains about first dollar coverage.

Like when an MA plan non-renews, that's a pretty big change. I've seen lots of this in rural markets. I believe HMO plans will remain profitable in certain areas, but expect massive market retractions in rural areas.

Back