Are You Leaving the Health Business?

When I passed my licensing exam a short while back, my grandfather who owns his own successful benefits company in Florida, told me, "Congratulations. You still don't know sh!t."

He was right.... My apologies again to all that I offended.

That word "quota" makes me cringe. Would hate to be a client on the other end of an agent that has to meet a "quota". Especially on the last day of the pay period.

Most of us have self imposed quota's. Understanding our differences in mindset might help yourself integrate with the board.

----------

Funny how "Amicable Ann" can change the direction of a thread.

Ok now we're getting somewhere. That's not a bad deal at all, believe me there are some really crappy deals out there. The only draw back is you don't own your book of biz....but if there are people that have been with them a long time then that's ok. If the longest worker there has only been there for 5 years it could be a problem. So this agency does groups only? Can you write individuals? What other products besides health do they do? I think we need to turn in some business quick here or you might catch the ire of the bosses. Lets talk about what we can sell fairly easy and quickly...no whale hunting for now.

Not a bad deal at all. Most places I looked into first didn't come close. My focus has been group health and integrated benefits. Actually, I took over someone else's prospect list from our own agency with over 500+ businesses, so that's been a big help in starting out.

There are people who have been with our agency for longer than 5 years I believe. There are not a whole lot of us producers.

I can write individual term life. We do group and individual life, health, dental, vision, and have an Aflac rep in office. Represent all major carriers and are in very high standings with the top ones....

----------

That word "quota" makes me cringe. Would hate to be a client on the other end of an agent that has to meet a "quota". Especially on the last day of the pay period. Most of us have self imposed quota's. Understanding our differences in mindset might help yourself integrate with the board. ---------- Funny how "Amicable Ann" can change the direction of a thread.

Ann broke it down and wasn't attacking me back... Fries.... Still bitter about that one.

The "quota" is so low that if I am not meeting it, I won't be successful anyhow.

----------

And as long as I was making the effort, I am sure if somehow not met, I would be alright.

Again though, it is minimal in the sense that if not accomplished, I should quit anyhow.

The reputation of our company is more important than being unethical to meet a quota. I do know that much.

Not a bad deal at all. Most places I looked into first didn't come close. My focus has been group health and integrated benefits. Actually, I took over someone else's prospect list from our own agency with over 500+ businesses, so that's been a big help in starting out. There are people who have been with our agency for longer than 5 years I believe. There are not a whole lot of us producers. I can write individual term life. We do group and individual life, health, dental, vision, and have an Aflac rep in office. Represent all major carriers and are in very high standings with the top ones.... ---------- Ann broke it down and wasn't attacking me back... Fries.... Still bitter about that one. The "quota" is so low that if I am not meeting it, I won't be successful anyhow.
My first few months in the biz in 05 were so hectic and crazy with prospecting and selling and learning that there was no way I could have taken an hour to post to strangers on line. "See the People", repeat, ....

My first few months in the biz in 05 were so hectic and crazy with prospecting and selling and learning that there was no way I could have taken an hour to post to strangers on line. "See the People", repeat, ....

Accurate. I am actually staying late now to finish my work.....

You know, JustinSure, there are 3 things that members of this forum will jump all over. The first one is spammers who come here just to recruit agents to sell their products. The second is an agent selling trash to unsuspecting clients and/or having newbies sell that trash. The third is ..... well, I won't rub your nose in it.

So far, your deal sounds solid. Search this forum for "captive" or "newbie" or "commission split", and you'll hear about hundreds of agents who didn't find solid deals and realized months later they were just being used.

We've read the book and seen the movie, and are alert to those moves. So far your deal is looking good. The Aflac reference raised a red flag, but not that much. Now, what products are you selling to clients? If they are not trash, then this could be a good thing.

You know, JustinSure, there are 3 things that members of this forum will jump all over. The first one is spammers who come here just to recruit agents to sell their products. The second is an agent selling trash to unsuspecting clients and/or having newbies sell that trash. The third is ..... well, I won't rub your nose in it. So far, your deal sounds solid. Search this forum for "captive" or "newbie" or "commission split", and you'll hear about hundreds of agents who didn't find solid deals and realized months later they were just being used. We've read the book and seen the movie, and are alert to those moves. So far your deal is looking good. The Aflac reference raised a red flag, but not that much. Now, what products are you selling to clients? If they are not trash, then this could be a good thing.

The person who does Aflac also does many other things. As for the major carriers we are in the high standings with: UHC, Aetna, FB. For ancillary, Principal and Guardian.

The person who does Aflac also does many other things. As for the major carriers we are in the high standings with: UHC, Aetna, FB. For ancillary, Principal and Guardian.

Sounding good. You are not doing any funny business like recommending limited benefit plans, or using pre-tax dollars for the employer to fund individual/family plans, or such are you?

Does your agency do individual/family plans in addition to group?

Sounding good. You are not doing any funny business like recommending limited benefit plans, or using pre-tax dollars for the employer to fund individual/family plans, or such are you? Does your agency do individual/family plans in addition to group?

No, in fact never heard of that... We only do group health and one person here does individual health.

Mostly we work with groups.

----------

And going back over everything in this thread, feeling pretty stupid, honestly.

I was pretty angry...

----------

Also, to let it go and move forward, we are encouraging groups to move away from the exchange.

What are everyone's thoughts on that from a group perspective?

Back