Are You Leaving the Health Business?

Either way, your approach in communication with me is far from respectable.

I work for one of the top agencies in the state of Florida and we do offer exclusive products that only a small amount of agencies and brokers have access to here.

I attribute "my basis" to the short amount of successes I have had thus far and to the fact that all of the producers in my agency are successful.

Everyone here is educated and has a positive attitude and are writing business, even now.

I will address you again though. Being rude to someone on a forum trying to blast them and for what? What value are you currently bringing to the table?

And I disagree with your last statement. There are still many opportunities out there. Maybe you just need more training if I can see it already after being such a newbie.

----------

To add, there is a strategy to prequalify your prospects during the initial meeting to understand if it is indeed a real opportunity.

If properly executed, you won't have much of your time wasted working as a FREE CONSULTANT.

That way, you don't feel tempted to go out there and try to pick on the new guy.

----------

That would be a negative ghost writer. Do you have a problem that you need to address?

----------

And thank you also for your support. I am noticing a trend on this thread. What do all of you have such a problem about?!

My intentions were positive... But that is alright Hou Coogster.

I look forward to the day where forget that your opinion matters. Oh, wait.......... It already is irrelevant....

----------

I have. Why are all of you taking what I am saying so negatively?!

I was under the impression that this was a forum where you could communicate with other professionals and share insight.

Everyone just wants to rip you apart. Where is te value in that?!

----------

Are all of you who continually want to say something negative just that miserable with your own lives that you feel the need to talk down to someone on an online forum?

I don't get it... But, I do get that the health insurance industry is a great opportunity and that you can be successful in it if you aren't a jerk and educate yourself and stay positive!!!

I would like fries with my order, thank you.

You are pretty much completely clueless, I'm sure that will help you last at least another 3 months before you realize it.

First of all, there aren't any 'exclusive' group products in Florida. Florida Blue has at least a 30% marketshare and the other players like Aetna, UHC, and Humana offer every broker the same set of products.

Secondly, you can't 'pre-qualify' prospects for genuine interest, they will pick your brain until they hear something they like and just go back to their current broker with it. Why do they do it? Who knows, but they do.

I rarely agree with Somarco but there is a 'rite of passage' on this forum and deservedly so. Your comments sound like the typical know it all newbie who's had smoke blown up his butt about the 'great opportunity' by an agency that will put you on the phone full time and have a senior agent split commissions until you realize that doesn't cut it and you leave. Of course, your business will stay, and that is the whole point of the exercise for the agency. But good luck with it, let us know when you take a case from first appointment to apps and a check.

You are pretty much completely clueless, I'm sure that will help you last at least another 3 months before you realize it. First of all, there aren't any 'exclusive' group products in Florida. Florida Blue has at least a 30% marketshare and the other players like Aetna, UHC, and Humana offer every broker the same set of products. Secondly, you can't 'pre-qualify' prospects for genuine interest, they will pick your brain until they hear something they like and just go back to their current broker with it. Why do they do it? Who knows, but they do. I rarely agree with Somarco but there is a 'rite of passage' on this forum and deservedly so. Your comments sound like the typical know it all newbie who's had smoke blown up his butt about the 'great opportunity' by an agency that will put you on the phone full time and have a senior agent split commissions until you realize that doesn't cut it and you leave. Of course, your business will stay, and that is the whole point of the exercise for the agency. But good luck with it, let us know when you take a case from first appointment to apps and a check.

You are right. My agency has been lying to me all along. There isn't a product that we can offer that most agencies cannot because it is exclusive. My commission split isn't fair and they haven't been voted one of Florida's best companies.

My agency has been blowing smoke the whole time. And everyone who works here making a six figure income is lying when they say that there are opportunities in this industry. And all of the sales they are making are not real. I am just wasting my time learning as much as I can and I need to continue speaking to people like you who are so supportive!

Thank you!

JustinSurance, let's start over.

This is your mama speaking. I'm a 55 year old woman, with 33 years of experience in this business. So let me explain (from our point of view) what just happened, and then I think you will see why the volcano erupted.

Most regular posters on this forum have 15 to 40 years of experience in this business. Most wrote hundreds of applications during the time that you took one AOR. Most have studied and written about this law over the last 3 years, know the important facts, and know the market well. These agents have stood the test of time through a volatile market and a disruptive change. They've seen numerous "newbies" leave the field after proclaiming that they won't go but they will be a big success.

Then you came on here and posted about the opportunities in a way that clearly showed you were still in training. Your words were swaggering and boastful. It was also clear that you hadn't read the threads and didn't know the audience you were speaking to. If you had, you would have realized it was like a kid on his bike telling a race car driver how to drive.

So, it was offensive. No problem. We are all offensive at times. After all, we are "A$$holes" as you so clearly defined us. Only problem with that is you only put two dollar signs in what should have been "A$$$$holes". But we all make mistakes. When I first came on this board I went up against the great Somarco on a deep & fundamentally complicated issue. He shot me down. I retorted. He brought out facts. Shucks. He was right.

So, just admit you're a newbie and reach out a hand for help. We like helping newbies. Nice ones. Or else we like being A$$holes, as a humorous diversion from an otherwise boring insurance career. Either one extreme or the other. Rarely in between.

JustinSurance, let's start over. This is your mama speaking. I'm a 55 year old woman, with 33 years of experience in this business. So let me explain (from our point of view) what just happened, and then I think you will see why the volcano erupted. Most regular posters on this forum have 15 to 40 years of experience in this business. Most wrote hundreds of applications during the time that you took one AOR. Most have studied and written about this law over the last 3 years, know the important facts, and know the market well. These agents have stood the test of time through a volatile market and a disruptive change. They've seen numerous "newbies" leave the field after proclaiming that they won't go but they will be a big success. Then you came on here and posted about the opportunities in a way that clearly showed you were still in training. Your words were swaggering and boastful. It was also clear that you hadn't read the threads and didn't know the audience you were speaking to. If you had, you would have realized it was like a kid on his bike telling a race car driver how to drive. So, it was offensive. No problem. We are all offensive at times. After all, we are "A$$holes" as you so clearly defined us. Only problem with that is you only put two dollar signs in what should have been "A$$$$holes". But we all make mistakes. When I first came on this board I went up against the great Somarco on a deep & fundamentally complicated issue. He shot me down. I retorted. He brought out facts. Shucks. He was right. So, just admit you're a newbie and reach out a hand for help. We like helping newbies. Nice ones. Or else we like being A$$holes, as a humorous diversion from an otherwise boring insurance career. Either one extreme or the other. Rarely in between.

I am new.

And I am sorry if I came across as being disrespectful and offensive initially. That is why I came to this forum. To try and share my experiences and to learn from others and theirs.

But this entire time, I have been ridiculed and insulted. And I am not fond of being treated so disrespected. And maybe you are not either but, the point is, I was not deliberately attempting to be.

So to all I have offended, I understand and more importantly, I apologize.

I am new.

And I am sorry if I came across as being disrespectful and offensive initially. That is why I came to this forum. To try and share my experiences and to learn from others and theirs.

But this entire time, I have been ridiculed and insulted. And I am not fond of being treated so disrespected. And maybe you are not either but, the point is, I was not deliberately attempting to be.

So to all I have offended, I understand and more importantly, I apologize.

You're forgiven. Now........... let's start over. Read a lot of the posts on the forum, and learn what the experienced agents are telling you. It will differ from what your agency is telling you. This will cause inner conflict. You will have to figure out who is right. Then you'll have to figure out what you need to do to succeed. You can do it.

Apology accepted here.

No more "Fries" jokes......to you anyway.

Now tell us more about your arrangement pay ect.. and we can offer you some ideas to help you maximize the deal.

You are right. My agency has been lying to me all along. There isn't a product that we can offer that most agencies cannot because it is exclusive. My commission split isn't fair and they haven't been voted one of Florida's best companies.

My agency has been blowing smoke the whole time. And everyone who works here making a six figure income is lying when they say that there are opportunities in this industry. And all of the sales they are making are not real. I am just wasting my time learning as much as I can and I need to continue speaking to people like you who are so supportive!

Thank you!

I am actually giving you very valuable advice-agencies lie all of the time, about as often as the current POTUS about Healthcare Reform.

Each of us with many years of experience in this business have seen it far too often, that's why about 90% of all new agents fail and why if you look at any local Craigslist sales job listing you will see multiple ads from different agencies all promising 6 figure income, leads, training, etc, etc, etc.

Most of us are independent, we wouldn't work for anyone because of this.

One of the biggest national health insurance IMO's, Health Choice One, runs ads in almost every city in the country promising the world, and has over 5,000 agents-guess how many of them make the weekly top producer list for health insurance and clears more than $1,000 a week after lead costs?

The answer is less than 25.

The only way to be successful in the health insurance business is to be a true expert-you have to know the products inside and out, know how to quote, provide support, and sell.

Based on your comments about 1 AOR in 3 months it's obvious you are being used by your agency to cold call and set appointments, I've seen this in other market niches within the insurance industry, and it never works out for the rookie agent.

All I initially did was make one remark about you not being able to contribute much to this forum, which is the truth as you don't know anything-it was you who blew that up into disrespect. It wasn't disrespect, just honesty.

There is a wealth of information in this forum that can help a new agent, I would suggest you start reading and develop an understanding of how some of us work, it might help you not be one of those 90% who wash out.

Apology accepted here. No more "Fries" jokes......to you anyway. Now tell us more about your arrangement pay ect.. and we can offer you some ideas to help you maximize the deal.

I feel like I got a sweet deal.... I have a salary that keeps me self sustained and once my commissions meet that salary for a consecutive three month period, I am strictly commission. Fully paid benefits, 60/40 split in my favor... I get a lot of flexibility with how I dedicate time, to calling, networking, that kind of thing. As long as I meet my quota, which is not unreasonable.

I feel if everyone else in our office can achieve it, if I work hard there is no reason I should not be able to...

----------

I am actually giving you very valuable advice-agencies lie all of the time, about as often as the current POTUS about Healthcare Reform. Each of us with many years of experience in this business have seen it far too often, that's why about 90% of all new agents fail and why if you look at any local Craigslist sales job listing you will see multiple ads from different agencies all promising 6 figure income, leads, training, etc, etc, etc. Most of us are independent, we wouldn't work for anyone because of this. One of the biggest national health insurance IMO's, Health Choice One, runs ads in almost every city in the country promising the world, and has over 5,000 agents-guess how many of them make the weekly top producer list for health insurance and clears more than $1,000 a week after lead costs? The answer is less than 25. The only way to be successful in the health insurance business is to be a true expert-you have to know the products inside and out, know how to quote, provide support, and sell. Based on your comments about 1 AOR in 3 months it's obvious you are being used by your agency to cold call and set appointments, I've seen this in other market niches within the insurance industry, and it never works out for the rookie agent. All I initially did was make one remark about you not being able to contribute much to this forum, which is the truth as you don't know anything-it was you who blew that up into disrespect. It wasn't disrespect, just honesty. There is a wealth of information in this forum that can help a new agent, I would suggest you start reading and develop an understanding of how some of us work, it might help you not be one of those 90% who wash out.

The company I am working for is not a huge company. They have been working with me very closely and I have a genuine feel that they want me to succeed. I do have leads that they send me on also.

I apologize that I was disrespectful. The issue was that I didn't understand how I had disrespected all of you and was baffled as to why it was reciprocated....

When it comes down to the agency I am with, if I do not produce, I am gone. Again though, it is small and I have monthly career coaching with our CEO, the nine... I have a feeling I will do well and I attribute that to the company I am with, and my desire to succeed of course.

Ok now we're getting somewhere. That's not a bad deal at all, believe me there are some really crappy deals out there. The only draw back is you don't own your book of biz....but if there are people that have been with them a long time then that's ok. If the longest worker there has only been there for 5 years it could be a problem.

So this agency does groups only?
Can you write individuals?
What other products besides health do they do?

I think we need to turn in some business quick here or you might catch the ire of the bosses.

Lets talk about what we can sell fairly easy and quickly...no whale hunting for now.

Back