Ari Galper's Unlock the Game

I basically 'get' what he is saying but now I'm at the point where I'd like to know if anyone has specifically tried cold calling by saying, "Hi! I wondered if you could help me....?" and then asking a question about a problem/need the company may have that you can solve. Just looking to see if this works for anyone out there? If not, for those with a good response rate, what script are you using for commercial insurance?

Thanks!

I basically 'get' what he is saying but now I'm at the point where I'd like to know if anyone has specifically tried cold calling by saying, "Hi! I wondered if you could help me....?" and then asking a question about a problem/need the company may have that you can solve. Just looking to see if this works for anyone out there? If not, for those with a good response rate, what script are you using for commercial insurance?

Thanks!

I don't mean to be offensive but that comment shows that you didn't really get it. "Maybe you could help me" is not a script. There is no script. His system is really not for everyone. Have you looked at Sandler's?

No worries...I'm not easily offended. ;) That was just the example he gave in several of his articles. I wasn't looking to use it as a script, per se, just as a starting off point to get the potential client talking. Have you used his methods? How did you get the conversation started?

I haven't checked out Sandler yet...but I will. :yes:

Briko...I just checked out Sandler's website but it looks like you have to pay before you get any really good info, where Ari has numerous free articles. Do you know where I can get some of Sandler's info for free? Thanks!

No worries...I'm not easily offended. ;) That was just the example he gave in several of his articles. I wasn't looking to use it as a script, per se, just as a starting off point to get the potential client talking. Have you used his methods? How did you get the conversation started?

I haven't checked out Sandler yet...but I will. :yes:

You don't try to get people talking and there is no method. If people were forced to tell the truth, most cold callers would say "Hi I'm mm. This is a cold call and I'm trying to sell you something. I hate doing this because I don't like talking to strangers but my family needs to eat and I really need to make this sale."

But they say something else because they know they will be hung up on if they told the truth.

So change the truth. If you are going to ask how they are doing today, be really curious about how they are doing today. If you are going to ask them to help you out, really seek their help. If you're going to ask them if they're grappling with any issues, be really curious about their issues.

The whole concept revolves around the fact that people know when they're being told a B.S. no matter how smooth that B.S. may be. So the first thing you need to do is change your truth. Again this isn't for everyone and many still make a lot of sales doing the conventional.

Briko...I just checked out Sandler's website but it looks like you have to pay before you get any really good info, where Ari has numerous free articles. Do you know where I can get some of Sandler's info for free? Thanks!

The best way to get started (IMO) with Sandler is to go to Amazon and get: "The Sandler Rules: 49 Timeless Selling Principles and How to Apply Them" If I were you, I'd get the Kindle book for 9.99. Just download the kindle app on to your computer and start reading the good stuff.

Hey Everyone,
I've only been in the insurance business for a few months now and have a pretty good success rate cold calling so far. But, I have been reading off of a basic script. I just discovered Ari Galper's Unlock the Game methods today and was wondering if anyone has had any success using his methods and if you have any tips/tricks for me as I give this a shot.
PS. I mainly focus on selling commercial insurance.

Thanks in advance!
He's interesting... I have his whole Mastery program.

I try to sound as natural as possible but it basically goes like this...

"Hi, how are you today? Great! My name is....and I work for.... We actually specialize in insurance for ..... businesses and I can generally save my clients anywhere from 10 to 20% off of what they are currently paying. I'm just calling today to see if you'd like to do a free quote and see what I can save you?"

My response rate has been pretty good (I think). For every 25 calls I make, I get at least 3-5 who want quotes right away and at least 8-10 more who give me their renewal date and ask me to call closer to renewal.

I agree with the others in skipping the how are you at the opening. Doubt they believe you care and it sounds like your getting ready to sell you something. I would skip that sentence and go right into My name is blah blah blah. Gets to the point and doesn't give them time to think about what you are up to until you tell them. My name is, I specialize in and I save my clients money. Interested?

Ok, I have purchased Unlock the Game. I studied it like the back of my hand. I applied the principles with little to no success. It made me feel confident on the phone making the calls, but it didn't increase my sales one iota.

I found the opener, "I was wondering if you could help me out for a minute?" extremely tacky. You get an initial pleasant response, but then when you switch into your "I was calling to see if you are grappling with....[problem]", the business owner cools off immediately, because he realizes you are a salesperson. It's a tacky, stupid approach that doesn't work.

I contacted customer service for a refund, because I think it came with a 30 day refund. They offered me a free 1 on 1 60 minute coaching session with an Unlock the Game rep to see if that would make a difference. I took them up on the offer. The guy who "coached" me didn't impress me whatsoever. Our call only ended up lasting about 25 minutes, because I just wasn't getting anything out of him. He didn't seem to know "the game" any better than I did.

What I realized the key is to cold calling and prospecting, is to be different. The old tired cliched, scripted calls and canvassing has business owners bored to tears. "Can I stop by and share some information with you and get about 10 minutes of your time?", "What would be better for you, Tuesday or Thursday?", "I will be in your area Tuesday morning", etc. All crap that doesn't work anymore, unless you get suckers on the phone. Trust me, there are plenty of suckers out there, so you CAN get business this way. But will you make a good living? No, you won't.

You have to stand out and be different. The top rep in every Insurance company stands out big time. They almost always have a confidence level that's through the roof. Confidence sells. Timidness ends up getting a 9 to 5.

Back