As Trump seeks to end Obamacare, red states are expanding Medicaid

Northeast Agent

Guru
1000 Post Club
Pennsylvania
As Trump seeks to end Obamacare, red states are expanding Medicaid | BenefitsPRO

Due to the lack of an alternative health care plan coming from the administration, Democrats see an opening in battleground states.

“He just keeps giving us more ammunition,” Guy Cecil, the chair of the Democratic super PAC Priorities USA, said of the president.

“People, even Trump voters, want their Medicaid. Trump just wants applause from right-wing Twitter for taking it away,” said Democratic consultant Jesse Ferguson. “The 2020 election will be pretty simple: if you want more sick people without health care coughing on you, vote Trump.”

The only reason states could afford to expand Medicaid was because of Obmabucks that subsidized the cost of expansion. Originally those funds would be reduced but I think expansion states are still getting at least partial funding.

States that opted out of expansion did so because of the deficit that would be created when/if DC withdrew funding.

States are required by law to balance budgets. They can't run a deficit without reserves to cover the cost. That means reduced funding for services and/or raising taxes.

Neither choices are popular with voters.

But there is another side to Medicaid expansion that is rarely discussed.

Providers, especially hospitals, lose money on Medicaid patients. Many small rural hospitals have closed due primarily to Obamacare and Medicaid expansion. DC also cut DSH funding since, in their tiny minds, everyone would have insurance.

We have also had metro hospitals in Atlanta close in the last few years. It is almost impossible to find a smaller hospital that still has an ER or OB department.

51% of births in GA are paid for by Medicaid.

That is a money loser for hospitals.

Private practice physicians, especially primary care, are not required to accept Medicaid patients.

While Medicaid expansion sounds wonderful the economics of expansion severely limits access to health care.

Isn't it wonderful when "reporters" expound on something they don't understand yet present themselves as experts?

While Medicaid expansion sounds wonderful the economics of expansion severely limits access to health care.

OK... sound reasoning, logic, and facts. Not to mention a wealth of history. But I still feel you are wrong because your facts don't fit my truths. :laugh:;)

It's amazing to me that folks who are supposed to be "professionals" in this business either miss the facts, don't look for the facts, or ignore the facts...

In truth if you can't get passed your biases or your politics, and see the other side of the ledger, why in the world are you in sales? More to the point, what or how are do you sale?

Perhaps this is why people often disdain insurance agents...:huh:

There, fixed it for ya!

Beg to differ, but access to health care is not just limited to rural areas.

Regarding Medicaid you still have a number of docs that do not take ANY Medicaid patients. Doesn't matter if they are rural or metro docs.

But I still feel you are wrong because your facts don't fit my truths.

Feel free to change the narrative any way you want and republish. I won't sue for plagiarism.

More to the point, what or how are do you sale?

Been drinking with Yoda again?

When-nine-hundred-years-old-you-reach-look-as-good-as-you-will-not.png

Regarding Medicaid you still have a number of docs that do not take ANY Medicaid patients.
These Doctors should have all funding withheld until they comply. By refusing patients, they are in contradiction of an oath they took.

The states have to pay 10% of the medicaid costs. Enough to blow up the states' budget.
And it is a risk that it could be yanked or increased portion paid.

Is this a half truth?
The alternative is having people not receive proper healthcare, which creates a whole different set of costs. If covid treatment wasn't currently covered by the feds, how many additional 1000's of deaths would there be?

Latest posts

Back