Asking if a Convenient Time to Talk

'How are you doing today?'
Just a waste of time (for both parties).
I start by introducing myself and telling the prospect what I could do for them. They either want to hear more or they don't and I move to the next one.

if you ask that question, you just gave them an opportunity to say no, and then its all over.

Dont ask a question that can cause you rejection.....

if you ask that question, you just gave them an opportunity to say no, and then its all over.

Dont ask a question that can cause you rejection.....

Different strokes for different folks ... For some of us the goal is to get rejected ASAP.

Just remember, cold calling is panning for gold or separating wheat from the chaff. Your job is to get separate out the grains from the chaff as quickly as possible. Its not to be a "super salesman" and put the moves on, twist arms, etc. to generate interest that doesn't exist. You're looking for the few nuggets that actually have an interest in what you offer. Give those that aren't interested an out as quick as you can.

Personally, I have a problem with people who cold call me and expect me to drop what I'm working on and pay attention to them without seeing if I have any interest, but that is me.

In total agreement.

I always say "Did I catch you at a bad time?" and give them an opportunity to respond.

Keep in mind I don't cold call any more, but do call referrals and folks who visited my site. In other words, those whom I have reason to believe have an interest in my offer.

But even when I was cold calling I would abbreviate it a bit while still asking permission to speak.

"Hi Don, this is Bob. I know you are busy and this will only take 20 seconds. Do you have any interest in learning about . . . .?"

If they say yes, I have a warm prospect. If no, I move on.

I actually worked a phone room a couple of times, mostly to sharpen my skills, and would always lead in like that. The folks around me were sticking to the script and never getting anywhere. I could convert a cold call to a warm prospect 3x faster than anyone else.

For every 30 calls they would make I would make 90 and end up with the more prospects and better qualified ones.

By starting out with "I know you are busy" they believe I respect their time. Following with, "this will only take 20 seconds" lets them know I don't plan on wasting their time.

Unless they are in the middle of brain surgery or sex, everyone has 20 seconds, especially if you make your next line intriguing enough.

The line that follows sets the hook and either you have them or you don't.

<< Unless they are in the middle of brain surgery or sex, everyone has 20 seconds >>

Or... if they ARE in the middle of sex, you can wait 20 seconds until it's over and THEN give them your pitch.

:)

I was reading a prospecting article by Steve Kloyda, and he recommended the following opening when cold calling:

"Hi, this is Steve Kloyda with XYZ Company. I know you weren't expecting my call, is this a convenient time to talk?"

Basically his point was that by asking, it is showing respect for the prospect's time and not coming across as someone who is barging in to start a dialog.

I can appreciate his point, but to me, it kind of reminds me of people who ask a question by asking if they can ask a question. If you just ask, or, in this case, present your brief opening explaning why you are calling, then it is out there to be addressed and then you can find out if they are interested or not, or if it is a convenient time to talk. Also, if they say no it is not convenient even if it is and hang up, you never got a swing at bat. Besides, when I am called by a salesman, the first thought that comes to mind is get to the point.

I look at the initial opening as a short window with the clock ticking to grab the prospect's attention. Asking if you can ask ticks down that clock. Anyone use this approach or have any thoughts?

P.S.: He also recommends doing away with the "How are you doing today" as part of your opening on a cold call, which I completely agree with.

Its much better to say "I hope I've reached you at a convenient time (voice inflection and emphasis drops but don't pause)......I'm calling because......"

Don't give someone an easy out to say they ARE too busy.....too much of an out pitch........don't pause, if its a bad time, they'll tell you....your voice tone and inflection will allow you to be polite and for them to stop you if it isnt.

Different strokes for different folks ... For some of us the goal is to get rejected ASAP.

A person with no interest is going to reject you eventually. How much time do you want to invest in that person, 5 seconds, 5 minutes, or 5 hours?

You're panning for gold. Most pebbles in the stream aren't gold, just hold long do you want to keep the non-gold pebbles in there with the gold nuggets?

I wasn't being sarcastic, Vol. I give them a chance to say 'No' ASAP. I quoted you to make a point.

I used to cold call (on the phone), but I haven't done it for years. There are better ways, especially since the DNC.

While I am in partial agreement with the "Is this a good time to talk"..... I am guessing that most people will say NO! Think about it. When is it a good time to stop what you are doing, and pay an extra 50 per month for a non tangible item?

btw....most people hate telemarketers. I refuse to be a telemarketer. So I don't dial for dollars anymore or any such cold calling.

This is a great topic and I could go either way. But I'm going to have lean towards NOT asking if it's a good time to talk. I am somewhat persuaded by VolAgents reasoning that we are not there to generate interested that isn't there. However this early in the process there is no assessment of how warm or cold they are so you have to stick with what helps your numbers and that to me is not asking if it's a good time.

Back