Assurant Getting Crushed on Pricing Eveywhere

In California, if you want a cheap premium, and, crappy net, Anthem Pathway PPO is your plan. If you want a slightly less crappy network, and, more expensive, Assurant using the Aetna PPO network is your plan.

In your opinion, which PPO plan should we go for in CA?
Bluecross Pathaway is EPO here in southern California.

Supposedly Assurant has Open Formulary . Whats the difference? I understand that Assurant is one of the only companies that offers a open formulary when most other carriers offer a closed formulary . I called Assurant and no one can explain to me how the client would benefit from an open formulary .

I thought it was simple as explaining an HMO vs PPO . You cant go out of network with a HMO without paying full cost but with a PPO you can and pay a %. Apparently i cant get any answers that explain how if a client has a prescription for the drug that is not on the formulary how they would benefit by having a open formulary. would it mean the insurance company would cover some of the cost of the drug while others don't.

Does anyone have a handle on this?

*Bump
I don't have official confirmation from Assurant, but the regional rep said they are going to reduce commission on California and Arizona IFP plans to 1%. This would be for plans with a 2/1 effective sold later than 12/25.

Have you Cali agents heard this as well?

It's official, just got this email. Not cool. Does this mean level 1%? Or 1% period?

----------------
Assurant Health has made a decision to change individual major medical commissions in California and Arizona to a level 1% total commission rate for new business.

The new commission rate will apply to all new business submitted on or after 12-26-2014 with an effective date on or after 2-1-2015.
Current commission structures will apply to any new business with a 2-1-2015 effective date submitted on or before 12-25-2014.
Our Supplemental products are not impacted by any of these changes.

We’ve had to make this difficult decision in order to reduce the cost of customer acquisition and to ensure Assurant Health can meet the long-term commitments to our customers.

We know that this may be challenging for your business model, and understand that you may not be able to sell our individual major medical plans in California or Arizona. We continue to have many supplemental options in these markets, and look forward to working with you on these product opportunities.

Commission schedules have been updated to reflect this change. Log on to assuranthealthsales.com to review your updated schedule.

If you have any questions, please reach out to your sales representative.

My question is, what's special about these two states?

No, they did nothing like this last year

Maybe priced competively and want to stay that way in ca and az? A 15 percent commission would not help assurant here in Illinois.

Back