Assurant Pulls the Plug Who's Next?

Assurant Cuts Commission to 0% in Over Half the Country

So after Assurant cut commissions to 1% in CA and AZ a few weeks ago, we just got this email a few minutes ago.

Important notice regarding commission changes

Assurant Health has made the decision to reduce individual major medical commissions in Florida, Georgia, Indiana, Michigan, Nevada, Pennsylvania and Texas to 0% for new business.

This change will apply to all new business submitted on or after January 19, 2015, with an effective date on or after March 1, 2015.
For all the business you’ve previously written, rest assured you’ll be paid according to the current commission structure—this change does not impact that business.
Our supplemental products are not impacted by any of
these changes.
While the strong sales we’ve seen are important, the changes we’re making to our sales approach in these markets will ensure overall profitable growth to meet the long-term commitments to our agents and shareholders—and help us meet the service and support expectations of our customers.

We continue to have many supplemental options as well as Short Term Medical in these markets, and look forward to working with you on these product opportunities.

Assurant Health remains committed to the individual marketplace and to you, our valuable distribution partner. We are looking forward to the next Open Enrollment period beginning October 1, 2015, and to offering a full suite of ACA-compliant major medical plan options to support you and your customers as we work together for your sales success.

Commission schedules have been updated to reflect this change. Log on to assuranthealthsales.com to review your updated schedule.

Thank you for your efforts on behalf of Assurant Health. If you have any questions, please contact your sales representative.

Sincerely,

Charles Steele
Senior Vice President, Executive Sales Officer

Re: Assurant Cuts Commission to 0% in Over Half the Country

dupe thread try the search function its yer friend

Re: Assurant Cuts Commission to 0% in Over Half the Country

I've seen this paragraph by a well known company and it remains to be seen when they do not need their valuable sales partner anymore, which I believe is very close, year after next.

Assurant Health remains committed to the individual marketplace and to you, our valuable distribution partner. We are looking forward to the next Open Enrollment period beginning October 1, 2015, and to offering a full suite of ACA-compliant major medical plan options to support you and your customers as we work together for your sales success.

Assurant was overly agent friendly in 2014. Paid out 5 figure bonuses to agents. Now the pendulum has to swing back in the other direction to the extreme. Stockholder meeting coming up soon. Need to show drastic restructuring is underway in the losing divisions.

Assurant Pulling Out

So apparently Assurant as of Sunday the 19th is going to 0% commissions for Medical Policies for Florida, Georgia, Indiana, Michigan, Nevada, Pennsylvania, and Texas.

To me this tells me that some people making a ton of money made a guess in those markets...and after enrollment began...ran the actuarial returns and were off the mark enough that they will completely halt marketing in those markets to prevent further loss.

This is our 1st year with Assurant and to be completely honest we've been very impressed until the past hour. Our confidence is shaken in the decision to not suck it up and accept a poor decision by accountants and product designers.

I do feel for the FL clients, Assurant was the only true PPO option outside of Blue Options.

And on the whole they have had Much better CS than UHC. This is bad, very bad.

Don't count your commissions...

This is exactly how I feel. Since Florida Blue is captive, this was pretty much our only on-market option to help the consumers with plans.

It's very unfortunate Assurant didn't at the very least decide to stick it out for the rest of the year, let alone OEP.

Back