At a Crossroad in My Career... Need Advice

Advisor06

Guru
100+ Post Club
Ok I could really use your help with this...

Here is my situation, I currently am a captive agent working for company X that I can only sell to my assigned territory which which have to become members of a private organization which is about 800-1000 people in total some currently have insurance with this company and some don't. I am allowed to sell only Life, LTC, DI, and fixed annuities with this one company and no other companies.

The company really only wants my life business and all my quotas are based upon life only sales on my territory which I need to achieve 100 life apps per year. I have found that many of the people will not pick up the phone or not call back even if they have insurance with this company which really restricts my opportunity for life sales because they have been call numerous times over the years and sold from many different agents.

I have recently interviewed with Mass and it seems to be a lateral move without my call list and I would have to go out and find new people to meet with and they hard push on the series 6 which I am not a fan of getting. I am starting to think possibly going into the P&C business may be a good idea since people need that insurance and may give me more of an opportunity while continuing to sell Life/health on the back end once I get the appointment. Do you think I should stay where I am?

Just throwing it out there to see what everyone thinks since I am really uncertain and do not want to make the wrong choice. Also I need somewhere that will offer health benefits.

Thanks in advance for any help/advice.

so are you saying, you're only aloud to prospect 800-1000 people that are already members of this organization?

you cant prospect other areas or generate your own leads or buy leads?

People have to actually already have insurance with this company for you to call them?

It doesn't sound like a lateral move at all to me, it sounds like you're getting the freedom to market.

Josh said:
It doesn't sound like a lateral move at all to me, it sounds like you're getting the freedom to market.

+1. Answer your question about P&C.. MUCH harder to start and WAY moreservice work. But in the long run can be more profitable than L&H.. that's why we all call in "the dark side".

so are you saying, you're only aloud to prospect 800-1000 people that are already members of this organization?

you cant prospect other areas or generate your own leads or buy leads?

People have to actually already have insurance with this company for you to call them?

Yes I can only work my assigned area. The only way I can generate additional leads would be to make sure whoever would want to buy joins this organization.

Some have insurance but some don't but even the people who have coverage are like pulling teeth to get in the door with since they have been called over the years from previous agents.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Your right but I have to admit going from not ever having to find people to call to having to find my next lead is a little scary since I have not training on how to do this. That is why I thought possibly adding P&C would open the conversation a little easier to get in the door but still sell Life and Health.
+1. Answer your question about P&C.. MUCH harder to start and WAY moreservice work. But in the long run can be more profitable than L&H.. that's why we all call in "the dark side".

Would you say I should look at a state farm or all state or go to a brokerage place that have 20 different companies to offer at a competitive price? From what I understand most places do not offer health benefits since your considered independent.

Last edited:
wow that sounds terrible.

I would get out of there definitely.. If you've managed to sell much of anything in your current market you will do much better else where.

My young friend: some thoughts...What is your heart telling you to do? The heart is usually right. The head is often wrong... It's been said that "You must do the thing that you think you cannot do."...Here's a technique that may help: put two chairs side by side. Sit in one. That's the choice one chair. How do you feel?. Then sit in the choice two chair. How do you feel there? Repeat as desired. Here's another: project yourself a hundred years out from now. You're dead. Review your life. What do you wish you did? That's probably the right answer...Good selling to you...

My young friend: some thoughts...What is your heart telling you to do? The heart is usually right. The head is often wrong...
Nooo... I don't mean to pile on here, but there's also another saying that says "The heart can crawl faster than the brain can run".

Emotion and feeling need to take a back seat to logic and informed reasoning. You don't have to kick emotion and feeling out of the car, but at least make them ride in the back seat - and tell them to keep quiet.

Yes I can only work my assigned area. The only way I can generate additional leads would be to make sure whoever would want to buy joins this organization.

Some have insurance but some don't but even the people who have coverage are like pulling teeth to get in the door with since they have been called over the years from previous agents.

Your right but I have to admit going from not ever having to find people to call to having to find my next lead is a little scary since I have not training on how to do this. That is why I thought possibly adding P&C would open the conversation a little easier to get in the door but still sell Life and Health.

Would you say I should look at a state farm or all state or go to a brokerage place that have 20 different companies to offer at a competitive price? From what I understand most places do not offer health benefits since your considered independent.

Another option would be AGLA or a similar captive L&H company. They will provide training and benefits. A few years ago, after being independent for years, I went back with AGLA as an agent simply because I needed health insurance and I could not buy any on my own due to health problems. Spent 5 years and then retired.. Now, I get a little pension check every month for those 5 years so it wasn't a bad deal.

Back