Auto Leads

Hiring telemarketers is a great idea, if you have patience. But a big hassle for alot of people.

The turnover is high, so hiring, firing and training can get old. One DNC mess-up can be costly and it's not just about the "do not call list", there are other regulations you should educate yourself on.

Realistically, you might go through 7-9 people in your first month or two to find 2 reasonably decent people who will stay with you for a couple of months.

Hypothetically speaking if you pay one telemarketer $9.00 an hour, they get ZERO leads during their first three days working a 4 hour shift from 3:30 to 7:30... Your cost for ZERO leads is $108.00. This is worst case scenario. Now imagine if you had two new telemarketers and they both had this happen, or if your first 2 months of hiring, firing and training and and you had 4-6 telemarketers fail like this. I know, not likely BUT it happens!

If a caller were to get one lead per day, your cost per lead is about $38.00 (the going rate is 2-4 dollars commission on top of hourly)

2 leads per day? Cost is about 20 bucks per lead.
3 leads per day? About 14.00 per lead-getting better!
4 leads per day? $11.00 per lead is not sounding to shabby.

But wait.... that is only the cost of labor....

Let's look at other expenses:

Typically agencies are open until 5:00 or 5:30 PM. But now you have telemarketers in house until 7:30. Your part time staff just became babysitters. They may be there an extra 8-12 hours per week so they can make sure the callers are working, and that the office gets locked up.

Now that your agency is open an extra 8-12 hours per week you need to keep the heat/air/electric on longer.

You have 3-4 phones in your office for your regular staff that leave at 5:30 right? Oh no, I have telemarketers coming in at 3:30, they need phones! Time to order more phone lines and phones!

Gotta remember if you call outside of your county there could be long distance charges too!

Go to donotcall and sign up for your san number to stay in compliance with DNC regulations, it's free and it only takes 15-20 minutes to do if you speak government lingo.

Order your calling lists from cole directory or whereever at say 10 cents a pop.

Those have to be scrubbed every 31 days, you can purchase scrubbing software or use an online vendor who will charge you monthly.

Your telemarketers are going to have full use of facilities. Including but not limited to your coffee, microwave, water, restrooms, toiletries, office supplies, equipment.

Now that you have extra desks used daily, your cleaners will have to spend extra time and product in your office.

I can come up with more expenses based on my personal experiences with my agency, but I am sure you kinda get the point.

You can purchase leads individually for a set amount and that would be your only expense. $14.00 -$22.00 each.

There are a handful of lead providers out there, and the quality ranges. I would be willing to bargain that the cheaper leads are cheaper for a reason.

hahaha ... yeah i mean its illegal for those companies to make the SSN mandatory on the application so nobody can do it . All of my lead providers have the field on their apps but NONE of my leads have that info included. It wouldnt make sense for somebody to post their ssn in such a place. There are ways to generate the type of person you are looking for though so there is hope! lololol . but to answer your questions, it is illegal to make ssn mandatory.:1cool:

No offense PJ, but I didn't realize you were an expert on insurance laws given you live in Illinois.

I might also suggest a reading comprehension class as I never suggested that the social need be on the application.

Problem is resolved as we have a new rating engine, but thanks for your helpful commentary.

Last edited:
I'm captive and our rating engine requires a social entry for us to be able to do a quote. Do any of you know of any lead providers that include socials for insurance scoring purposes?

Thanks for your thoughts.

do you know of any lead providers that include socials for insurance scoring purposes? ....uhhhh.....what? ... that was your question . and my answer was NO BECAUSE IT IS ILLEGAL FOR LEAD PROVIDERS TO MAKE THAT MANDATORY ON THEIR APPLICATION.....
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
thanks for the suggestion, maybe ill have your mother teach me a thing or two .

Last edited:
That should be in the AUI after inputting their data - if not, go work a reputible company that has that capability!

I'm captive and our rating engine requires a social entry for us to be able to do a quote. Do any of you know of any lead providers that include socials for insurance scoring purposes?

Thanks for your thoughts.

I am back under a new name! I don't have access to the other one anymore. Hoping to be able to continue some of these conversations. :)

Latest posts

Back